Ramshorn snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this plant that had a little snail attached to it and it was so tiny tiny and transparent and I was just wondering if it could still have babies even though it wasn't around any other ramshorn snails all I have in the tank that are snails are three mystery snails that are males

One ramshorn that is very small should not have been fertile yet. As long as it is just the one you should be ok. If there are 2 you will see them reproduce.

One ramshorn that is very small should not have been fertile yet. As long as it is just the one you should be ok. If there are 2 you will see them reproduce.
Oh ok thank you yea there is only on and then 3 bigger mystery snails now the ramshorn can it have babies with the mystery snails ? I hope not lol or does it only have to be with that species

shan...

There are more snails than you see. They'll reproduce as long as there is uneaten food in the tank. The best means of controlling them, is to carefully monitor the amount you feed. Change most of the tank water weekly and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material.

The snails in the right numbers are beneficial for the tank. The Ramshorn kind are good tank cleaners and will help control algae and use excess nutrients. When the snails die, their shells dissolve and return minerals to the tank water.

B

I only found the one ramshorn and it's growing but no others but my mysteries

Oh good haha cause right now my cherry shrimp are breeding and I waiting till they get bigger to five them to the pet store

I have bad experience with rams horn snail, they look ugly and breed like weeds in a garden, get rid of them before its too late.

Ramshorns can become a problem if overfeed and no predators in a tank to eat abundant young. But they are excellent at dealing with algae. I keep my ramshorns in a dedicated tank. To insure I only have 1 in my main tank at a time I will pull a single one, pin head size, and move it to my tank. They are beautiful. Here is a pic from my breeding tank. IMG_1483282675.066040.jpg

I only have one ramshorn cause when it was on a plant it was so tiny and transparent like it was just out of the egg not long after and if there was another it would grow like him or her and be around the same size

I just purposefully acquired some ramshorns. My ram love to eat small snails, and I wanted some help with melting plants.

If you have a carnivorous fish, "pest" snails can be a great addition to their diet, especially when bred in your own tank(s).

Back
Top Bottom