Random filtration setup - any thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazook

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was tinkering with my tanks last night like I do every night, and have noticed that my 29g doesn't have enough filtration. I was originally running just a topfin with an aquaponic setup (don't know exactly which one, but it filtered 170 gph) after 6 or 7+ weeks of a fish in cycle I'm still running at 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, and next to no nitrates. Stocking is as follows:

3 platys
3 guppies
3 black skirt tetra
1 glo tetra
8 neon tetra (recently added)
1 pleco
I also found a stoweaway baby snail in the mix

I am prepping to take my pleco into the lfs once I know it's in good health to trade in for a bristlenose, and I imagine the recent addition of neon will not help with ammonia levels, so I decided to rig a homemade sponge filter with 2 airlines running into it coupled with a power head with the aeration pulling water from the top of the pvc as well. The power head is rated at 170 gph, so I assume this will do the trick in regards to proper filtration... The fish seem happier at least.1491669964720.jpg

Gonna get some floating plants soon to add a boost.

Has anyone ever tried this before, and what are your opinions on it's efficiency?

Are you dosing with seachem prime or another ammonia detoxifier, 2ppm ammonia can be deadly to fish.

Also many here recommend 10x water turnover per hour, but there is no replacement (especially during cycling) for water changes.

Would recommend doing water change any time ammonia or nitrite is >1, many here would recommend .5

Your filter is not a huge factor in cycling.

If your saying this powerhead with sponge is your primary filter that will be an issue.

I knew I had to up the filtration regardless (as stated in my first post, the powerhead/sponge filter is added on to my already existing topfin HOB which should put me in at over 300 gph) I have been doing 25% wc every other day and dosing with prime. I don't know if I'm getting a false reading, but this tank has been stubborn...probably caused by a mistake I've made. I don't easily have a way to test kh or gh, but ph is at 8.

Gotcha...was confused if you still had hob lol.

You using liquid kit?

Thanks, good to hear that, I started almost 2 months ago and feel like I'm navigating blindly. I have to research something new almost every day in order to keep the tanks happy, but worth it. 1491710538799.jpg1491710554837.jpg

I think researching something everyday is a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom