Random nitrite spike!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I was doing my usual tests using API master test kit.

My parameters were

PH 7.6
AMMO .25 ppm
NITRITE 2.0 ppm !!!!!
NITRATE 0 ppm

I did a huge 60% water change and gravel vac. Am I doing everything right? What else can I do to bring it down?

Btw, I'm doing a fish in cycle, it's a planted 10 gallon. It's Been running for 15 days. Is this just part of the cycle? I had a small ammonia spike a few days ago but it only went to .25 and has stayed there. Change the water every other day.

How often should I start changing my water until my parameters are on track ? PLEASE HELP

You should do a water change every time your Ammonia are over .25 and you NitrItes are over .25.

You should do a water change every time your Ammonia are over .25 and you NitrItes are over .25.

Yes I know. I did daily test and it was way higher than usual, I was just wondering if it was a mini spike or part of the cycle ?

Its just part of your tank cycling and normal. You will likely see the nitrites spiking for a bit before your second set of of bb kick into gear and start processing them into nitrate. Just stay on top of your daily testing and water changes to keep toxin levels under control. If you have not read the fish-in cycle link below, please do and ask any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom