RANT: Picky black ghost knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
My black ghost knife is driving me crazy! I'd been keeping him on a stable diet of frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried bloodworms, and sinking carnivore and bottom feeder wafers, all of which he consumed readily. Then I decided he might like to try some new foods.

How about some frozen glassworms? Might make a nice change from bloodworms.

"Nope," he says.

Well, maybe some frozen beef heart? Some growth might be good, he is about to move into a 58 gallon tank.

"Nuh-uh."

Well, maybe frozen tubifex worms will do the trick.

"No thanks."

Frozen daphnia? Frozen brine shrimp? Dried baby shrimp? Dried plankton? Dried crickets?

"No, no, no, no, and no."

This morning was the last straw. I'd decided to try the glassworms again, since it seemed like he had at least nibbled on them before, and I even bypassed feeding him night before last to get him suitably hungry. And yet, this morning when I woke up, there were uneaten worms all over the tank and I had to vacuum the tank first thing, so that the ammonia wouldn't go through the roof. Let me tell you, a tank full of worms is hard to clean up.

So anyways, now I have a freezer and a cabinet full of foods my black ghost knife doesn't want to eat, and he has resisted every attempt to bring variety into his diet. I'm almost afraid to follow through with my plan to eventually start breeding feeder white clouds and ghost shrimp, because I'm sure he's going to refuse those, too, and I'm going to have a bunch of fish I don't really want on my hands. Seriously, what's a girl to do?

he actually refuses them politely or is more like "get that the h*** out of my face!"

chances are you've been feeding him just blood worms, and he's got a taste for those now

i dunno if its a great idea, but dont feed him for a little bit, then see if he'll accept the other foods

how big is he?

He's getting on 6" or 7" (he was maybe 2-3" when I got him a year and some months ago). Since he was given to me as a gift at a time when I only kept bettas, I fed him nothing but freeze-dried bloodworms for months. Then I wisened up and got him the frozen stuff, and started trying new things around November, I guess, though that was mainly just freeze-dried stuff supplemented as treats. I don't care too much that's he's picky, it's just frustrating to try and do nice things for him and be rejected! :p At least I know he's getting enough nutritional variety what with the sinking pellets he eats. And he actually does eat those! :)

i wouldnt worry.
my discus were like that for the first week or two. they only ate brine shrimp. i had a huge freezer of every kind of food.
i was getting so frustrated. i was almost ready to sell it all off if i could
then slowly they started eating it.
now they eat every different kinds of frozen food.
just slowly mix it with other foods a little at the time and he will get use to it.
i sure would hope he would.
they are different fish but i hope i helped.

Back
Top Bottom