Rant/vent lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to what I thought was the best lfs in San Antonio, tx area. Called ahead to see if they had 6 neon tetras. They said yes. I arrive (30 minutes later) to find 1 neon tetra total, labeled as a cardinal tetra. At least 10 tanks with dead fish in them. 3 cichlids tanks with a major Ich infection (not labeled, so I'm assuming they were up for sale as normal). I just got mad and left. Ended up at pet smart and got my 6 neons from there. Hoping they have a quality stock, never purchased from them before but they had the cleanest tanks of any store I've been to. Plus side, my one lonely neon is now schooling like crazy. It's amazing what a difference the new tank mates made.

I try not to buy from places like Petsmart, but I know a number of people who have and their fish have gone on to live healthy lives. Now, Wal-mart, on the other hand...

Glad to hear that your Neon is happy with its new friends.

I've got fish from walmart but I have never put them directly into my tanks.

May the force be with you.

I've gotten fish from every kind of place, walmart for a while was the only place around here to have female crowntail Bettas, and while I live not too far from That Fish Place I only buy stock there rarely, as I haven't had much luck with any of it living very long. The important thing is to inspect the heck out of the fish you're looking at getting and being willing to walk away if they don't look right.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm joining the "it totally depends on the individual store" camp. One pet smart here was fantastic. Went to another one yesterday and it was terrible!

I think everything varies by location. I've been lucky and had really good luck with the petsmarts in my area meanwhile back in college the one near there sucked super bad.

I will usually give a local one a "second chance". Could be a bad associate or they had something happen. Usually I give 2 weeks for a check up. If things are in bad condition still then I will assume they aren't that great. On the other hand if there are issues and you go back it proves they know what they are doing and fixed things.

My petco is usually pretty all of my fish from there have survived except one and that was my fault. I felt so bad when I realizes that my fish died because of my water parameters :( ph was way to low for a cichlid. Other than that the only fish I have that was from smaller names store has been thriving. A spotted Rafael. If you love near Tyler tx I advise lone star aquariums. The guys there were very informative all their tanks were pristine with no dead fish. The prices where a tad higher than petco but again you pay for quality. Will be back to finish my livestock for the 55g when it's finished being set up.

Definitely varies. My petsmart is OK, not the best stock, but cories for 1$? Dang!

Back
Top Bottom