Raphael striped catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is also in a 29. The aquarium store told me that I should have a 55 because they get huge but mine stopped growing like two years ago.

Mine is also in a 29. The aquarium store told me that I should have a 55 because they get huge but mine stopped growing like two years ago.

Lol they are dumb. They tend to chill in their cave and the spotted max out at around 4" while the striped around 6". I'd say a 29 is plenty for them.

I think it's funny how most people that own Raphael catfish have both the spotted and the striped.

I would like to ask anyone if they know if this website takes down threads that are not fish related. I started a thread talking about if red eared slider turtles are compatible with catfish and it disappeared 10 minutes after I started it.

I would like to ask anyone if they know if this website takes down threads that are not fish related. I started a thread talking about if red eared slider turtles are compatible with catfish and it disappeared 10 minutes after I started it.

The moderators usually do if I remember correctly.

Thank you Bichir bro. Do you have a Raphael striped catfish

Thank you and can you tell me what my profile picture is for some reason it is not appearing.

Mine ain't either and on the site for me no ones is. Prob just some issues with the new update. Last I heard the techies are trying to fix that and a few other bugs as well.

I only have a spotted :(

You say it like its a bad thing. The striped never come out and they get pissed off really easy. My striped does not allow any other fish in his log and if a fish intrudes he makes a weird growling noise. My spotted one is a lot more friendly probably because it's female.

Haha true I would love a tank full of spotted ones. I hear they like friends. When I upgrade ill probably get 2 or 3 more spotted.

Haha true I would love a tank full of spotted ones. I hear they like friends. When I upgrade ill probably get 2 or 3 more spotted.

You said they like friends. Do you think it would be a good idea to put my vampire pleco in my 20 long and put my spotted Raphael in my 29 with my striped Raphael. My Raphael and my pleco are always fighting so that's why I'm asking.

I almost got one for my 20g on impulse :lol: They're awesome though, may get one in the future. Also that pleco in the back of the picture is pretty. Is it your picture? Is that a gold nugget pleco?

I almost got one for my 20g on impulse :lol: They're awesome though, may get one in the future. Also that pleco in the back of the picture is pretty. Is it your picture? Is that a gold nugget pleco?

Raphael catfish are very good tank mates but they prefer to be around other Raphael catfish. The photo you saw is mine. In the background you see a vampire pleco that I bought at Big Al's aquarium store. I used to have my Raphael and my pleco in a 20 gallon aquarium. The started fighting a lot and I could not do anything about it. One day I decided to buy a 29 gallon aquarium and upgrade my old tank. After I did this my Raphael and pleco cooled down a bit because they had more space. I would recommend only getting one catfish for your 20. In my opinion you should buy the Raphael striped catfish because there a lot cheaper than the vampire plecos which are $79.99 and the Raphael striped catfish are only $6.99. The only thing you have to worry about when putting a Raphael in a 20 gallon aquarium is size.

Raphael catfish are very good tank mates but they prefer to be around other Raphael catfish. The photo you saw is mine. In the background you see a vampire pleco that I bought at Big Al's aquarium store. I used to have my Raphael and my pleco in a 20 gallon aquarium. The started fighting a lot and I could not do anything about it. One day I decided to buy a 29 gallon aquarium and upgrade my old tank. After I did this my Raphael and pleco cooled down a bit because they had more space. I would recommend only getting one catfish for your 20. In my opinion you should buy the Raphael striped catfish because there a lot cheaper than the vampire plecos which are $79.99 and the Raphael striped catfish are only $6.99. The only thing you have to worry about when putting a Raphael in a 20 gallon aquarium is size.

I meant that I may get one for a larger tank in the future; my 20g is going to have like 5 cories and like 6 harlequin rasboras.

That will definitely be ok. Cory catfish are excellent for the aquarium. They don't get huge like most catfish and are very good natured. I have 3 of them in my aquarium. The harlequin rasboras a cool as well. These are 2 of my Cory catfish.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387898814.531976.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387898753.610712.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387898753.610712.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 61
That will definitely be ok. Cory catfish are excellent for the aquarium. They don't get huge like most catfish and are very good natured. I have 3 of them in my aquarium. The harlequin rasboras a cool as well. These are 2 of my Cory catfish.

Beautiful cories. I have peppered cory cats. I would be getting a rafael catfish if the 55g I'm building for xmas wasn't based around angelicus loaches. 6 angelicus loaches, 6 kuhli loaches, and 20 rummynose tetras in it.

I have seen stripped Raphs at or above 8" regularly so I will go ahead and agree with the store workers telling you 55g is better for them. The spotted on the other hand will max out around 4". I have a spotted and he is hilarious. I think part of there charm is not seeing them. If all the fish stay at the top and front of the tank it would be no fun. I will drop a algae wafer in and all the other fish will try to eat it, but then...like a great white the spotted raph with come out of his hiding spot under his piece of driftwood and smell smell smell smell and follow his nose until he finds the wafer and then grabs it and tears it up like a pit bull goes at a tug toy. And will fight anyone for it! Haha got to love it.

My Raphael striped catfish stopped growing 2 years ago and he is 4 and half inches long, he is six years old. My Raphael is in a 29 gallon and he seems pretty happy with it. I would get a larger tank for him if I could but I don't have space for it right now.

Back
Top Bottom