Rare Cory situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Panda Cories got fin rot a couple months ago, which I successfully treated with Melafix in a 5gal QT bucket. However, his right pectoral fin never grew back and eventually all the tissue around it died and he just had the bone sticking out. Pretty weird, I know, but he seemed fine and life was back to "normal".

For about the last week he's been hiding in a very hard to see spot under driftwood in the back. I couldn't even find him all this time until tonight, so I figured he had died for some reason and the shrimps ate him or something.

Anyway, it looks like the fin bone has disintegrated and he's got nothing left there. Except it looks like he may have some sort of fungus (or maybe velvet??) growing from the area. Results: inconclusive - because I can barely see him.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this or have any advice? :?

Definitley sounds like a bacterial fin rot to me. The fungus appears in damaged skin, a secondary infection to the fin rot. Treat your tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Maracyn 2.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Finrot

The theory is that cory cats are more susceptible to bacterial infections than other fish because they are close to the nutrient rich substrate, where food sometimes sits and wastes accumulate.

Yeah, I'm definitely aware that they can be more suceptible to fin rot b/c of where they live in the tank, but this condition is just so weird. I wish I could see him better. It looks like a non-dense mass coming right from the effected area.

Are shrimp hurt by Maracyn 2?

Back
Top Bottom