Rare rainbowfish owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone out there have rare rainbow species? I have 17 species and I was just wondering if there are any other rainbow enthusiasts with some rarer species.

The 17 I have are:

Boesemani
Neon dwarf
Turquoise
Red Irian
West Australian
East Australian
Lake Tebera
Parckinsoni
North New Guinea
Wanamensis
Trifasciata
Kamaka
Maccullochi
Splendida
Ornatus
Ogilby's
Irian Jaya

I have Millenniums (Glossolepis pseudoincisus). Not sure if they are still rare, but they were discovered relatively recently (hence the name). I also have (non-rare) Boesmanis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have Millenniums (Glossolepis pseudoincisus). Not sure if they are still rare, but they were discovered relatively recently (hence the name). I also have (non-rare) Boesmanis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh! A store about an hour away has those, I thought they were the same as red irians. The lighting in there is really messed though, so colors can be different then what they really look like.

Thanks!

I have Trifasciata, Red Irian and Boesemani Rainbows in my tanks. Not sure how rare they are but they sure are gorgeous and playful! My Boesemani are just little babies I can't wait for them to grow up!

Not rare, but I used to keep Celebes until a heater malfunction took out a tank. They are amazing fish. I have been considering trying out one of the larger species in my community, but the pricetag has been deterring me a bit.

I don't have any rare rainbowfish, but I'll bite to keep the topic going! I do have six beautiful Boesemanis. Plus a lone baby boesemani that has just been declared big enough to move into the big tank, where he seems to be thriving. He is a miracle baby.

I love my Boesemanis. If I had more tanks I would definitely have more rainbow species.

Not rare, but I used to keep Celebes until a heater malfunction took out a tank. They are amazing fish. I have been considering trying out one of the larger species in my community, but the pricetag has been deterring me a bit.

I would highly recommend rainbows. That's why I have so many lol. There's 3 I really want but 1 is too expensive and the other 2 I just can't get. The 3 are:

Bleher's (Chilatherina bleheri) ($35)
Aru ii (Melanotaenia aru) (Can't find)
Pygmy (melanotaenia pygmaea) (Can't order online)

Are Murray River Rainbowfish rare? My fiance and I were looking at the origins of our fish, and we realized we have every continent covered except for Australia and Europe (but Europe is hard because it's not tropical really). We were going to remedy our lack of Australian fish by getting some Murray River Rainbowfish for the 55 gallon we're setting up soon.

Also, would they be compatible with angelfish?

That would put us at 4 continents in one fish tank- Asian loaches, South American catfish and cichlid (the angelfish), Central/North American platies, and Australian rainbowfish. We'd just be missing african fish but we'll have two species tanks dedicated to those (the multis we have and the killifish we'll soon be getting)

Last edited:
I have 6 turquoise, 1 boesemani, 1 unknown(was supposed to be an emerald but looks nothing like it), and one Glossolepis incisus. Looking for another Glossolepis and boesemani

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have 6 turquoise, 1 boesemani, 1 unknown(was supposed to be an emerald but looks nothing like it), and one Glossolepis incisus. Looking for another Glossolepis and boesemani

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Could you post a pic of it? I know every species of rainbow

Are Murray River Rainbowfish rare? My fiance and I were looking at the origins of our fish, and we realized we have every continent covered except for Australia and Europe (but Europe is hard because it's not tropical really). We were going to remedy our lack of Australian fish by getting some Murray River Rainbowfish for the 55 gallon we're setting up soon.

Also, would they be compatible with angelfish?

That would put us at 4 continents in one fish tank- Asian loaches, South American catfish and cichlid (the angelfish), Central/North American platies, and Australian rainbowfish. We'd just be missing african fish but we'll have two species tanks dedicated to those (the multis we have and the killifish we'll soon be getting)

I wish I had Murray Rivers... They're probably #5 on my wanted list.

My wanted list:
#5: Murray River
#4: Utchee
#3: Aru ii
#2: Pygmy
#1: Bleheri

I have breeding groups of C. bleheri (4.9) & M. boesemani (12.8). The boesemani are active morning breeders and the bleheri are late afternoon/evening breeders. They're all 3-6 years old, and awesome to watch.

I REEEEEALLY want some Chilatherina alleni (Allen's Rainbowfish) but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet.

Did that really come across strongly enough? I can always add more eeeeeealllllys, lol!

Also, side note: I saw one lonely adult Bleheri at The Wet Spot in Portland if anyone in the area is looking for one. I don't want to just get one since I don't have a harem going, but if anyone is looking to add to theirs, I saw one today that seemed nice and healthy.

I REEEEEALLY want some Chilatherina alleni (Allen's Rainbowfish) but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet.

Did that really come across strongly enough? I can always add more eeeeeealllllys, lol!

Also, side note: I saw one lonely adult Bleheri at The Wet Spot in Portland if anyone in the area is looking for one. I don't want to just get one since I don't have a harem going, but if anyone is looking to add to theirs, I saw one today that seemed nice and healthy.

Ooh another Portland-ish-er! I feel like there are a lot of us.

Anyone care to come to Denver and see Gary Lange, one of THE top Rainbowfish guys.

Colorado Aquarium Society Welcome to The Colorado Aquarium Society

Quote from a communication...

"LOOKING AHEAD, For our June 5 meeting, our speaker will be Gary Lange, the recognized authority on Rainbow fish. Extraordinary NEW Rainbowfish of Papua (Irianjaya) .

Gary will speak about his adventures discovering 9 to 10 brand new rainbow fish species from this region; including the most exciting rainbowfish discovery the hobby has seen since the "Neon Rainbowfish"; the "Wapoga Red Lazer". This fish was just recently named "melanotaenia rubrivittata".

Gary will share with you the punishment dished out by Mother Nature, how they were able to find their way back through the jungle after being abandoned by their boat captain, treking hours through the bugs and the mud, and how it was worth every bit of it for these amazing fish! Gary will also bring egg kits with instructions for hatching and care to the auction after his talk.

This way you can easily and safely raise these awesome fish in the safety of your own home and enjoy them for many years to come."

Did you note the NEW rainbow species discovered!!!

I have had these 6 young Glossolepis pseudoincisus, Millennium Red is a little hard to find...

bad pic but even young these guys were stunning.

60074-albums13647-picture68396.jpg

A beautiful Melanotaenia parkinsoni male.

60074-albums11380-picture66040.jpg

Unfortunately these guys died when I had a pH crash situation. Last year. The nearby breeder of the Reds got the fish from ones that had come from another breeder in the area from the CAS, from fish Gary Lange raised. The nearby guy's aren't having babies atm, but I am waiting for them to.

Presently a pair of Boesemani. no pic. Nicely colored (but they look like all the rest.;) )

Back
Top Bottom