Rasbora School Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fairybolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, this is a quick question. I have a newly cycled (via sponge filter from a friend) 55 gallon aquarium. I dropped the filter in today and went to my local Petco to get some fish. Our local one is actually pretty good, and my usual haunt is a good 45 minutes away. The idea was to simply get a handful of fish to keep the bacteria fed.

Anyway, my plan was to get 6 Harlequin Rasboras to start with. I eventually am planning a school of 20 to 25 of these guys, but today I could only get 4. That is what I want to ask about. Will 4 Harlies be okay for just over a week together? I can't make the trek out to the LFS this weekend (**** wedding) and who knows if Petco will get in anymore (the people working there were unsure). We have a PetsMart in town too, but it's a fishy mass grave every time I go in there.

What do you all recommend?

They'll be fine. The larger the school the better, but its not like they're going to die just because you have 4 instead of 6 (or more).

They'll be just fine. I started my school of harlequins the same way.

4 is actually a better number to start with in a new 55 gallon, just to stay on the safe side. You'll have a better chance of having an instant cycle with your seeded sponge. I recommend feeding very little for the first couple of weeks, too.

Back
Top Bottom