Ratio for overflox and pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erod714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm ready to work on my refugium project.. I have a 72 gallon bowfront and I'm going to set up a gallon 20 refugium.. However the part I'm confuse is the ratio between the box and pump. I know a refugium should have a slow flow. I was thinking of getting a CPR box 90 rated for 600gph with a drain pipe of 1 1/4, and a mag 7 return pump rated for 700gph with a return pipe of3/4 pipe and head loss of 4' which rates 480..

Would be enough for my tank or should I bump it up a bit ???
Thanks for ur time

You could get a larger pump but the Mag 7 is probably the one I'd pick. People often go with powerful return pumps but the people I've known who went with more modest flow rates usually get the same results. I prefer the lower rates personally. It does depend on the corals you intend to keep, though. If you're looking to have a SPS tank a larger pump would be better.

You posted in the freshwater section but I'm assuming this is for saltwater.

I'm actually doing it for my discus.. I've heard it helps with phosphate levels and water chages .. I won't have a reactor , just filter media .. Like bio balls and carbon type of things .. Also I heard that freshwater aquariums don't need so much matianance with a refugium other than replenishing electrolytes.. But I do want low rate on mine.. Do u think the popping size is ok to give the low rate.. Btw thanks for ur time

For discus the mag 7 is ideal. No need for anything larger at all. Freshwater refugiums for discus can be tricky. First you want to make sure the plants can take the 82-84 degree temp. Trickle filters add a ton of oxygen and release lots of co2 which is perfect for the fish but not good for plants. Low phosphates will keep the plants growing slowly and can even be bad for them. Most plants need phosphate and I often add it in my planted tank even though my water has some.

Honestly, I'm not sure how well a refugium would work at all in a discus system. If you want the display tank planted it would be better to get a canister filter in my opinion but it's not impossible. Many people struggle with keeping plants with sump based filtration. What made you decide to go this rout? Will the display be planted?

I decided to go with a refugium bc of easier maintenance .. Wat I've read Is that u don't do water changes often, but u have to add electrolytes ..also it'll keep the nitrate down ( nitrate level 0 ) and phosphate ( my phosphate 5.0 ).. Ill be a able to add my uv and heater out of view and have less clotter in my tank ..
I'm using a canister filter right now however it's my second one.. I want to invest in something that will last a long time and something that would open a wide range of things do to with filtration..

Refugium/sump can be easier maintenance compared to cleaning a canister IME and IMO. Some people don't feel cleaning a canister is hard at all, but I don't agree with that.

Both refugium/sump and plants are really nice to have in between water changes, but they do not and should not reduce the frequency of water changes IMO. They help keep the pollution level down. Sumps only add more volume to the tank, which dilutes the pollution. Plants does reduce nitrAtes, phosphate, and many other dissolved waste in the water column, but plants do not soak up all of the hundreds of pollutants in an aquarium. If you do end up reducing the frequency of water changes, then its a good idea to do massive water changes every 1-2 months to take out as much leftover pollutants that the plants do not absorb.

I am not a believer in those self-sustaining tanks because it doesn't make sense no matter what people do.

If you want to own great looking and healthy Discus, then water changes should be the main focus. Everything you do and buy would focus on how to make maintenance AND water changes easier. Those are the 2 key factors to keeping Discus in the long-run.

I agree.. I am planning to do big water changes even though ill have a refugium .. Ill monitor the water parameter for several months intill I feel comfortable with prolonging water changes .. Right now in doing weekly r/o water changes it would be nice to do every month or every two lol.. But ill always be cautious not to hurt my fish and water parameters. I hope this refugium will give me a clean and healthy tank.. Like u said maintainace is the key to healthy discus .. ;) thanks for input ..

Discus generally require more water changes than nearly any other fish. I'd be interested to know if a refugium really helps reduce that need. Have you read or heard about using this method from other discus keepers or is this your own idea? I'm a big fan of using refugiums in saltwater.

I will.. Ill get started after the holidays.. I have done research on it and I find some discus have a refugium system and have said good things about it.. I figured its worth a shot.. My fish will appreciate it

Erod714 said:
I will.. Ill get started after the holidays.. I have done research on it and I find some discus have a refugium system and have said good things about it.. I figured its worth a shot.. My fish will appreciate it

I'll definitely be following along! This is something I've never tried out myself. Hopefully well all get to learn a few things along with you. :)

Back
Top Bottom