RCS deaths....where did I go wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabbycat0282

Aquarium Advice Regular
I haven't been on in quite a while, but want to get insight on a problem I had a little while ago.

I decided to be bold and try a RCS tank. Everything was going well for a while until suddenly I couldn't find the baby shrimp anymore and the adults started dying off. I realized that dead RCS are much more pink than living ones....a sad finding :(

The only thing I could think of was that maybe when I did a PWC (tap Tampa water with de-chlorinator additive)....maybe some copper from the pipes of my old building contaminated the tank and killed off my shrimp slowly?

Does this sound possible??

Also, I have seen a couple people mention keeping shrimp with Betas. Would RCS thrive well with Beta, or would they become dinner??

As always....thanks for your opinions and advice :)

How often do you change the water? I think shrimp like it really clean.
You could try using Kordon Rid Metals along with the dechlor, I use it for my snails.
You can try a betta, some work, and some don't. :)

I do not remember the name of the dechlor. It was sold to me a while ago at a PetSmart. I realized a few months ago that it had expired and I threw it away.

dk: thanks for the mention of a Rid Metals product....didn't know one existed (never really looked either).

Shrimp have been gone for over a year now, but I was thinking about trying again. Just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up again. Probably going to hold off on the shrimp for a while.

I am going to make my old shrimp tank a betta tank very soon. I want it to be a very small community tank though. It is a 5 gallon hex tank from Walmart.....very well established.....has a very small pleco in it right now. I want to get some neons for the tank as well. Do you think I should put in the neons (3-5) first....let them get aclimated and not freak out the biology of the tank....then add a male betta? Do you think that will help keep him from being overly agressive with the neons? Him being the new guy and all.....

I have seen your posts regarding bettas on other threads....thank you for your help ;)

I should clarify that the 'very small pleco' is a clown pleco and has not grown in the 4 years I have had him. It is only 2.5 inches (at the most). Didn't want someone to freak out on me thinking I had a common pleco in my tiny tank....seen it happen before! :)

I wouldn't put Neons in a 5g Hex...there isn't enough swimming room for a school IMO. I would just go with the Betta and the Clown plec.

And to answer a question you had a couple posts up, keeping Bettas with shrimp is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes the Betta totally ignores the shrimp but sometimes the Betta will eat the shrimp. You won't know until you try it. You could try some Ghost shrimp with the Betta first if you wanted, as a test. That way it would atleast be cheaper Betta food if he ate them.

+1 for JustOneMore, I agree.
5 gallons is good for one betta and the pleco, but I wouldn't put any more fish in there. :)

+2! tetras like to be in schools and are pretty active swimmers, there just isn't enough room in a 5 gallon tank.

I will not get the neons.
I am very bored with small tanks.....Can't wait to set up my new 37 gallon tank soon.
Thank you for your input.

I am glad to hear you are going to do the right thing and not just cram a bunch of fish in there. :)
When you set up the bigger tank, you can use stuff from the 5G to seed it so it will cycle faster. Just make sure it doesn't dry out.

To answer your original question. I really don't know anything about this stuff but I can tell you the water in Tampa is terrible. That stuff is heavily treated. There was an article on TBO from this past Jan. that the water supply was found to be contaminated with antibiotics and other chemicals. Just moved from St Pete to the Carolinas and the difference in the water quality was immediately apparent. Never had an aquarium while I lived there but I know if I did I probably wouldn't use their tap water no matter how much dechlor was used, I could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom