re-acclimating fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just the other day I noticed my heater was no longer working; water leaked into the inside. Anyway, I think the heater has been broken for a while, (3 weeks or so), and as a result my fish have been swimming around in water temperature around 70 degrees. I have a new heater arriving in the mail soon, (Aqueon submersable 100 watt).

Question: Since my fish have been pretty much living in cooler temps for the last 3 to 4 weeks maybe longer, what precautions should I take in re- acclimating them back to normal 77 or so degree temps? Should I gradually increase the new heater temperature?

Thanks,

2nd tank-

16 gal. bow front
2 pearl Gourami
1 dwarf gourami
2 white mollies
2 rasboras

Personally, I would just plug the thing in and set the dial kind of low, and then raise the temp slowly over the nest day if you are concerned. I have just plugged my new heaters in right away and never had an issue with the fish adapting, but none of my fish were sensitive species.

yeah plus the heater takes its time to warm the water so as it gets warmer the fish starts acclimating to it, it usually can take a few hours to get to the right temp, n remember when u install the heater let it sit inside the tank for atleast 10 min to get acclimated b4 u plug it in

Thank you for the suggestions. new heater works great, submersed it for about 30 min prior to turning on, and fish are LOVING the warm life. It was probably a stupid question to begin with, but hey, better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom