Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Re-homing an Angelfish

So, in January 2020, I got two tiny angelfish. Their bodies were between the size of a dime and a nickel. They are a champaign color and are now about 2" a cross, give or take a little.

They are in a 30 gal tank with a couple of cory cats and six tetras. They never bother the smaller livestock, but they pick at each other all the time. Lately, they are aggressive to the point of damaging each other's scales. I have another tank (20 gal) that I think is too small. I've gotten attached, but think it's time to find a new home for one of them.

There aren't any aquarium clubs in the area and the lfs was unable to suggest a good way of finding a new home. I've thought of FB marketplace and Craigslist, but am leery of going that route.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to any/all ideas.

Thanks,
Melanie

Old 12-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angels are def not angelic. Esp the males. Mine fight and challenge almost non stop, and are in a bigger tank. Local fish forums like this for your area, or CL work. I've swapped and bought fish several times using those routes

Old 12-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

Thanks for your response, charliebankston! I have had little success with finding other aquarists in my local area. All I know is that the aggression can't be good for either of them. I'll keep looking for others in my area that may be able to help me re-home one of them. Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yw! And good luck
Old 12-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had hundreds of Angelfish and find that they are always nipping at each other. That's just what they do. But I've never seen one actually harm another.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had them knock a few scales off, and cause some abrasions around the mouth lip locking, but nothing other than minor stuff. But I'm used to watching cichlid aggression, my African tank of 30 is bad. I think ev1 in there has some kind of nipped fin, lol
Old 12-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Maybe I'm being too futzy about it. I should add more hiding places, I think. Is a 30 gal tank big enough for 2 of them?

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com