Re -sealing a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi folks,

Doing a pwc yesterday I noticed that the seams in my 30 g are sort of peeling off. I don't see any water leaking out, but since I'm moving all the fish to the 75 g it is a good time to do any repairings before I start my tiger barb collection in there.

Can anybody tell me what needs to be done and how to do it?

Thank you! :D

That's the article that helped me reseal a 55 gallon a while back. I'm not much of a DIY person and I resealed it just fine, so I know you can do it. The worst part by far is getting the old silicone off :evil: , but then the actual resealing part is pretty easy. The article says to use your finger to smooth out the silicone, but I would recommend using gloves if you can. I got silicone all over my fingers when I did it- it smells bad and it is really hard to get off of skin. :p Good luck!

Instead of using your fingers, the people who built my tank use a square piece of hard plastic with one corner rounded off.
You get a perfect edge everytime and no mess.

Great!!!! Thank you, guys! This is a good project for the holidays! All I have to do is get my hubby to help. It'll take a little convincing but he'll come around! :wink:

I havent tried it yet, but my LFS guy seals tanks and he said to smooth it with an ice cube, it will leave a nicer, smoother appearance.

Back
Top Bottom