Re-Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNOOPYS BIG FAN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!
I'm just a fry to this forum as you can see.
I could use some advice on re-stocking my tank.
I have a 48-gallon, tropical with 4 Platies, 8 Neon Tetras and a Pleco. I also had two fully grown Angels that recently died during a prolonged power outage caused by Hurricane Sandy. I want to replace those Angels, but since they've been gone, my Platy fry have been able to survive. I have many large and small live plants. There are four Platy fry swimming around right now and, I suspect, more on the way soon. My basic question is this: Is the addition of 4 Platies (8 total now), plus 2 new Angels, too much for my tank?
Of course, I'll wait for the fry to grow to the size of the Tetras and I'll get baby Angels.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Two angels, the platys and neons are fine. If you have a common pleco it will outgrow your tank eventually and you will need to rehome it. Bristlenose plecos are much smaller and plant safe. Also Neons are often times a snack item for angels so hopefully your old neons will be large by the time the angels mature. Personally with the size of your tank and the fact it's planted you could easily add a group of 6 Julii or Panda Cory cats for bottom dwellers and another small group of 6 rummynose tetras or some type of rasbora or add some cardinal tetras instead of neons if you like the bright blue/red look.
This will not overstock your tank.

Thanks,
I've been noticing my Pleco starting to tear up the plants more and more. How do you suggest "re-homing" him? I know he wouldn't survive in my pond outside. I'm not sure pet stores would take him; he's about 8 inches long now.

Back
Top Bottom