Re-Test after Water Change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a MAJOR brain fart sort of.

I have always had good levels on my parameters beside pH but with the fish I have they are fine. BUT now that I have added more fish my Nitrate went up to 10ppm, now I tested before I cleaned the tank out and did the water change just to see what the before and after is.

10 gallon tank with 2 ten gallon filters on it : 3 Cory Cats 2 Tetras and 2 Golden Barbs and 1 Iridescent shark.

Before levels are
pH-7.6- water out of my tap 7.8 I have pH tablets but they are for 10 gallon tanks but I dont want to use one every water change. Question 1- Can I put the tablets in with the fish? Question 2- 7.6 is it really that bad? Most from what I have read is as long as you arent 7.8 to 8.0 you are fine unless the fish need higher pH. Question #3- Is there such a thing as a low maintance plant? Like literally plant it and be done? I know you have to fiddle with the lights and levels might need tweaking but that is too much for my plate now.

Ammonia- .25 Like I said havent cleaned my tank out or done my 40% water change yet.

Nitrate- 10 or 20 ppm I cant tell on the chart.

Nitrite- 0 ppm and waited 10 minutes before settling on zero instead of the recommended 5 minutes.

Now with all that said I am trying to get rid of the Iridescent shark/catfish. Was given as an early birthday present from hubs and short of attacking and stabbing it myself I am lacking an excuse to get rid of it without hurting feelings. His best friend from high school just died and I am hesitant to tell him that I dont want his gift. It is on craigslist for free but so far nothing.

Also just introduced new fish into the tank as well. Yesterday I put the last of MY buy into the tank so I understand that the tank has to go through an adjustment period.

It also should be known that I wouldnt doubt that I am an "chronic over-feeder" I am doing my best to lower my feeding amounts but the Barbs eat anything and the Tetras can get enough if the Barbs are eating the Cory Cats food but since the Corys are the originals they are definitely growing but between my greedy albino (Appropiately named Dick) and the Barbs I am a bleeding heart for my other two corys and put an extra pellet or two in there for them. So I am now feeding every other day to help my "problem"

My 4th and original question is How long do you normally wait after each cleaning/water change/sponge-filter cleaning to retest?

Sorry its long and usually there is someone who will tell me my tank is overstocked. I know. It is now that I have the catfish/shark. My hubs feelings comes before the fish tank. When I can get rid of it without him noticing or it being a big deal I will but no sooner. I am 8 1/2 months pregnant and we are all on edge anyways since he is working more, his good friend died and he is freaking out about baby #3.

am having a MAJOR brain fart sort of.

I have always had good levels on my parameters beside pH but with the fish I have they are fine. BUT now that I have added more fish my Nitrate went up to 10ppm, now I tested before I cleaned the tank out and did the water change just to see what the before and after is.

10 gallon tank with 2 ten gallon filters on it : 3 Cory Cats 2 Tetras and 2 Golden Barbs and 1 Iridescent shark.

Before levels are
pH-7.6- water out of my tap 7.8 I have pH tablets but they are for 10 gallon tanks but I dont want to use one every water change. Question 1- Can I put the tablets in with the fish? Yes, but I recommend placing the tablet into fresh water after a water change and then adding the water with tablet in it to the tank. Question 2- 7.6 is it really that bad? Your Tetras, Corys, and Barbs will be healthiest in a slightly acidic environment, roughly 6.8. The alkalinity of the water will just make them less healthy, so their total lifespan will be shortened. It's impossible to know by how much. Most from what I have read is as long as you arent 7.8 to 8.0 you are fine unless the fish need higher pH. Question #3- Is there such a thing as a low maintance plant? Like literally plant it and be done? You're describing a plant made of plastic or silk. Some of these are incredibly well made and pleasing to look at. If you would like to give a real plant a try, then I would recommend Java Fern for you. If you use a Christmas Tree light timer to control your Aquarium's lights, then you won't have to fiddle with them. I know you have to fiddle with the lights and levels might need tweaking but that is too much for my plate now.

Ammonia- .25 Like I said havent cleaned my tank out or done my 40% water change yet. After I get stressed out at work during the day, I come home and change my water. I find it very relaxing.

Nitrate- 10 or 20 ppm I cant tell on the chart.

Nitrite- 0 ppm and waited 10 minutes before settling on zero instead of the recommended 5 minutes.

Now with all that said I am trying to get rid of the Iridescent shark/catfish. Was given as an early birthday present from hubs and short of attacking and stabbing it myself I am lacking an excuse to get rid of it without hurting feelings. His best friend from high school just died and I am hesitant to tell him that I dont want his gift. It is on craigslist for free but so far nothing.

Also just introduced new fish into the tank as well. Yesterday I put the last of MY buy into the tank so I understand that the tank has to go through an adjustment period.

It also should be known that I wouldnt doubt that I am an "chronic over-feeder" I am doing my best to lower my feeding amounts but the Barbs eat anything and the Tetras can get enough if the Barbs are eating the Cory Cats food but since the Corys are the originals they are definitely growing but between my greedy albino (Appropiately named Dick) and the Barbs I am a bleeding heart for my other two corys and put an extra pellet or two in there for them. So I am now feeding every other day to help my "problem"

My 4th and original question is How long do you normally wait after each cleaning/water change/sponge-filter cleaning to retest? I wait a full day.

Sorry its long and usually there is someone who will tell me my tank is overstocked. I know. It is now that I have the catfish/shark. My hubs feelings comes before the fish tank. When I can get rid of it without him noticing or it being a big deal I will but no sooner. I am 8 1/2 months pregnant Congratulations! :) and we are all on edge anyways since he is working more, his good friend died and he is freaking out about baby #3.

Don't worry about the "overstocking" preaching. You know it is and you are aware of what to do to keep the water good until you can balance the tank later. Sounds like you have a lot more to worry about right now than tank stocking. Your pH of 7.6 is just fine for 90% of the fish out there. I would do a 50% WC every 7 days. I like to test for nitrates right before the WC so I know about what it will be afterwards for the start of the weekly cycle. If you keep the NO3 below 30ppm with the stock you have you will be fine. Good luck and congrats on the upcoming new baby. OS.

Mifsud how would you recommend going about with the ten gallons? I have (3) gallon jugs that I use when I do my water changes. I could split the tablet into five pieces but would that counteract the actual tablet or would it be better just to put the complete tablet in the last gallon jug when I refill it?

Thanks for the congrats on the baby too!! It's my last one. I have two boys under the age of 3 and this one is a girl. I am going to school too so like I said a real plant that is actually going to require more work is more then I got right to give right now. Lol

I know how your husband feels for sure. My wife is 8 months pregnant and I have freaked out more then I thought possibly

Lol. He freaks out every baby. This is our third one!!! He is driving me nuts

From what I know and hear it's natural for us guys to freak out more than the woman having the baby which is a bit odd! Just don't make him watch c-section videos like my wife made me o.0

Lol. He held his breathe until he was blue with our first. My mom started cracking up and the whole room started laughing. I was laughing and trying to push at the same time

Mifsud how would you recommend going about with the ten gallons? I have (3) gallon jugs that I use when I do my water changes. I could split the tablet into five pieces but would that counteract the actual tablet or would it be better just to put the complete tablet in the last gallon jug when I refill it?

When you're refilling your tank with fresh water, put the tablet in the last full jug before pouring it into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom