readings for ph and general hardness, ok for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So up untill recently I had no luck with my general hardness test. I kept losing count of drops or putting in two or three by accident... I have tested the last three days and got the some pretty constant results. I figure my general hardness is around 10 deg or approx. 179 ppm. My ph as always remained a constant 7.8 on the high range and 7.6 on the ph. This leads me to believe that it is around 7.6 - 7.8 or 7.7. Anyways the question that I have ties into my last post about water hardness and adjusting or keeping constant. I have 5 rainbowfish who according to most profiles like the ph closer to 7.0 and moderate hardness. (i've seen this range from 5deg to 13deg.) Should i be trying to lower the hardness and ph or is it close enough that keeping it constant would be just as good for the fish? I will not add chemical as just about everyone is in consensus that this is simply a temporary solution and the fluxuation will be more stressful to the fish. I hope all this made sense as I do tend to ramble a little so sorry. Again ph - 7.6 - 7.8, GH (general hardness) 10deg. Temp - 79 - 80 def F. thanks again

IMO your rainbow fish will acclimate to your water without any problem.

GL and post some pics. :D

Ditto on leaving the water chemistry alone. Monkeying with the pH and hardness with chemicals will probably cause unpredictable and undesirable swings, as you have mentioned. The fw fish you get will probably be captive bred and adaptable to your local water anyway. Of course, if you are looking for a challenge and to gain some experience, that's another matter.

Back
Top Bottom