Ready to add more fish to 20g long, Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank setup for six months now, and have gone through several fish. The remaining survivors look quite lonely and was thinking about adding more fish, but would like to see what suggestions everybody may have for my size tank, and something that will make me happy to look at the tank again.

Started out cycling the tank with 4 mollies, 4 mickey mouse platys, and an angel fish. Three of the mollies died, along with three of the platys. I liked the platys, so I got three more. Then the angel fish died, and one more platy. I got four otos to clean the tank, and two died after the first week. I got some bloodfin tetras, four of them, and a dwarf gourami. Three of the tetras died. I got more tetras since they are schooling, but they only had green bloodfins, four of them. Then my gourami got dropsy, and died. then, one by one the tetras died, all of them. Then one oto died.

So now, I am left with three Mickey mouse platys, one black lyretail molly, and one oto (I think, I can not locate him as of this post).

I was thinking about a cichlid or pair, maybe a ram of some kind. I would like to stay away from anymore tetras. If I can find more otos, I will buy a couple more, as they kept the tank nice and clean. I would also like to stay away from betas, and gouramis.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

well it sounds too me like u used WAY TOO many fish to do ur cycle. And those fish arent hardy especially the angel. I would use Danios to cycle for a fishy cycle. They are very hardy. I would add some male guppies to that tank. I have a 20 gallon of males and females and i got some with some impressive tails that are the highlight of my tank. I don't recommend cichlids. I have a 75 gallon for mine.

Cichlids would not be a good option, I agree with PauloSilva that you need a larger tank. Do you know if your platies are male/female? They will most likely provide you with a lot of fry unless they are of the same sex. I do like guppies but do get all males if you don't want your tank overrun. :) For that size of tank, you want to keep fish that stay small. There are a lot of different types of tetras available, you might want to look at some different types than you had previously.

Actually, PauloSilva, the angel weathered the cycle just fine, even though I know my tank was way too small for him(lfs did not say anything about it and I did not know at the time). I have not seen any guppies that I care for in particular.

Of the platys that remain, I have one female and two males. She has delivered two batches of fry that have been eaten up before I I could save any. I have also tried putting her in a breeder net which made her hold onto them, and while I was at work, pop them out and eat them up before I got home :-(

I was researching some cichlids though that stay quite small. Rams are one of those, but I do not know if I will be able to find them in my area.

I may have explore tetras a little more, like you said Zagz.

Anything for a main fish?

I have 5 Cory Cats in my 20L, and they seem to really like the long tank size as they chase around the bottom. I also have 8 Neon Tetras and 1 really pretty female Betta. No problems yet. I used to live in Hagerstown, but I thought Frederick was a much nicer place. Good luck with your tank.

Back
Top Bottom