ready to try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GoneFishing said:
Huh ok.. even if my levels are ok I still need to spike the ammonia?

If it's going to be a shrimp only tank...they have an extremely small bio-load and a good source of established media should be sufficient. If you plan on adding fish, or want to ensure the tank is fully established before stocking...a fishless cycle is never a bad move. Is it only shrimp you're putting in the tank?

eco23 said:
If it's going to be a shrimp only tank...they have an extremely small bio-load and a good source of established media should be sufficient. If you plan on adding fish, or want to ensure the tank is fully established before stocking...a fishless cycle is never a bad move. Is it only shrimp you're putting in the tank?

Yea was wanting to breed rcs. Also I'm gonna get an Aquaclear 20 and run it on my 29 then transfer it to the 10

GoneFishing said:
Yea was wanting to breed rcs. Also I'm gonna get an Aquaclear 20 and run it on my 29 then transfer it to the 10

How much established media did you add? Shrimp don't produce very much ammonia, so a good portion of seeded filter should be able to cover it. You just want to make sure you didn't remove so much from your older tank to destabilize it and cause a mini-cycle. IMO, it's still a good idea to pick up a bottle of pure ammo and do a fishless cycle at a lower level of around 1ppm just to make sure the tank is prepared for your shrimp.

eco23 said:
How much established media did you add? Shrimp don't produce very much ammonia, so a good portion of seeded filter should be able to cover it. You just want to make sure you didn't remove so much from your older tank to destabilize it and cause a mini-cycle. IMO, it's still a good idea to pick up a bottle of pure ammo and do a fishless cycle at a lower level of around 1ppm just to make sure the tank is prepared for your shrimp.

Ok I can grab a bottle and on my 29 I am running 2 filters since I got an aquaclear 50 two-three weeks ago.. I grabbed a handful of filter floss out of a filter that just has that for media. I don't have the carbon in the 10's filter since I'm gonna do moss planted.

What should I do with the moss ball till the cycle?

GoneFishing said:
Ok I can grab a bottle and on my 29 I am running 2 filters since I got an aquaclear 50 two-three weeks ago.. I grabbed a handful of filter floss out of a filter that just has that for media. I don't have the carbon in the 10's filter since I'm gonna do moss planted.

What should I do with the moss ball till the cycle?

The moss ball will be happy with the water while you cycle...they love the ammo :). Honestly, I'm one of the biggest promotors of fishless cycling on the entire website (hence the guide), but if you've got a nice, big, nasty piece of filter media from an established filter...I think you'll be just fine with a shrimp only tank. They literally put out almost no bio-load. I'm just one of those people that would rather take a few extra days and be 100% sure I'm good to go...but it's entirely your choice. Just make sure that if the established filter is already in the new tank that it doesn't sit without an ammonia source for too long. The bacteria on the floss will basically starve and begin to die off.

eco23 said:
The moss ball will be happy with the water while you cycle...they love the ammo :). Honestly, I'm one of the biggest promotors of fishless cycling on the entire website (hence the guide), but if you've got a nice, big, nasty piece of filter media from an established filter...I think you'll be just fine with a shrimp only tank. They literally put out almost no bio-load. I'm just one of those people that would rather take a few extra days and be 100% sure I'm good to go...but it's entirely your choice. Just make sure that if the established filter is already in the new tank that it doesn't sit without an ammonia source for too long. The bacteria on the floss will basically starve and begin to die off.

Ok while I'm out tomorrow ill grab ammonia got a suggestion on brands? I appreciate your concern, and I'm glad I posted when I did to get your help. I know my 2 berried ghosts won't put out any bio but I don't want to risk putting fish in there that would eat the fry.

GoneFishing said:
Ok while I'm out tomorrow ill grab ammonia got a suggestion on brands? I appreciate your concern, and I'm glad I posted when I did to get your help. I know my 2 berried ghosts won't put out any bio but I don't want to risk putting fish in there that would eat the fry.

The guide I put together in my signature should cover it all for you. The only change I'd make is to only dose the ammonia up to 1-2 ppm instead of the 4ppm I recommend in the guide since it's a shrimp only tank. The recommended brands of ammo are also covered in the link. Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength brand is considered the best bet, but any PURE ammo (no surfactants, dyes, perfumes, detergents, etc...) will work. Feel free to post any questions on the guide thread...I'm on there all the time :)

Last edited:
Let the cycle begin.. bought the ammonia today, added 6 drops waited approx 1 hr. test came back .25ppm, shooting for 1-2ppm so added 6 more drops, gonna wait another hour (thank god for dexter). Will post again when test is done.

ok just tested again.. I'm 12 drops deep and at .50ppm.. just added 10 more drops so im hopin 22 drops is my mark.

GoneFishing said:
ok just tested again.. I'm 12 drops deep and at .50ppm.. just added 10 more drops so im hopin 22 drops is my mark.

Good deal. It's a smart idea you're keeping track of how much it takes. BTW, I just saw in your profile you work on A-10's...that's fantastic. I just saw my first one last week at the Langley Air Show. It's one of my dreams to hear that beast fire one day...but I think I'd have to go to boot camp first to actually hear it, lol. I'm 31 now...not sure I could take all that running, haha.

Good deal. It's a smart idea you're keeping track of how much it takes. BTW, I just saw in your profile you work on A-10's...that's fantastic. I just saw my first one last week at the Langley Air Show. It's one of my dreams to hear that beast fire one day...but I think I'd have to go to boot camp first to actually hear it, lol. I'm 31 now...not sure I could take all that running, haha.

Nah they do show of force demos in death valley.. I think its open to the public with a ticket purchase.. the gun is sick.. just sad that the APU (starter) is louder than both motors running lol.. I use to work on F-15s those are amazing machines!

and I'm glad this forum is here, so I can post my stats cause I would never remember :p

GoneFishing said:
Nah they do show of force demos in death valley.. I think its open to the public with a ticket purchase.. the gun is sick.. just sad that the APU (starter) is louder than both motors running lol.. I use to work on F-15s those are amazing machines!

and I'm glad this forum is here, so I can post my stats cause I would never remember :p

Looks like I might have to drive cross country some day to see it :). I've been to 6-7 air shows and have never seen an F-15 in the air...just a bunch of static displays. The Raptors are based out of Langley and I was pumped to see them for the second time, but they ended up being grounded right before the show. I'm not military, but I've always had a sickness for jets. If I can see one break the sound barrier, hear an A-10 fire and see a B-2...I can die a happy man.

I'm interested to hear how quick this tank cycles for you. I think you may get it done in record time with the media you've got.

Looks like I might have to drive cross country some day to see it :). I've been to 6-7 air shows and have never seen an F-15 in the air...just a bunch of static displays. The Raptors are based out of Langley and I was pumped to see them for the second time, but they ended up being grounded right before the show. I'm not military, but I've always had a sickness for jets. If I can see one break the sound barrier, hear an A-10 fire and see a B-2...I can die a happy man.

I'm interested to hear how quick this tank cycles for you. I think you may get it done in record time with the media you've got.

LOL the 22 is..... made for the ground.. they are cool thoughts, design flaws and to much money.. the 15 is still where it's at, since they are phasing out the 16. its all up to the 15 to hold off the 35 lol. the A-10 is the easiest to work on! absolute mechanics dream lol..

I hope this tank gets goin.. not that its hard just that I'm ready for some rcs and to have hundreds of them mwahhahahahaha I will post a pic in a min.. gotta take one and upload it.

10 gallon cycling and then a shrimp enjoying the moss ball.. I put the ball back in the 10

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110604_204226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110604_204226.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20110604_204305.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110604_204305.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 93
GoneFishing said:
10 gallon cycling and then a shrimp enjoying the moss ball.. I put the ball back in the 10

Looks good! I've gotta say though...that shrimp looks awfully spider like in the pic, lol. I'm hoping none of my Amanos ever climb out of the tank. My girl will squish first and ask questions later, haha.

Looks good! I've gotta say though...that shrimp looks awfully spider like in the pic, lol. I'm hoping none of my Amanos ever climb out of the tank. My girl will squish first and ask questions later, haha.

That's one of my larger ones. I measured one tonight and she was 2". Pretty amazing to watch a creature grow from .5". Shrimp are by far the most interesting animal for me to keep right now lol, if you couldn't tell by now :p

22 drops... Ammo 1-2ppm! Im callin 22 drops my sweet spot!

darker than 1 lighter than 2.. call that 1.5? idk lol

GoneFishing said:
22 drops... Ammo 1-2ppm! Im callin 22 drops my sweet spot!

darker than 1 lighter than 2.. call that 1.5? idk lol

Perfect. You've got your seeded media in there?

GoneFishing said:
Yup and lights are off..

Good deal. What I would do if you're trying to seed a new piece of media is have the old, seeded filter the first thing the water contacts when it comes in. Have the piece you're trying to establish squeezed right up against it as the second thing the water hits. That way it will throw the beneficial bacteria into the new piece as well as helping establish it through the actual tank.

If it's a nice sized piece of established media that's been in the other tank for a while...I think this is gonna happen fast for you. If you break the record of my guide...maybe you'll give me a good price on some RCS once they start breeding, lol.

Back
Top Bottom