Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
real deal..

ok, i was thinking about the theme for my 55 gal, i'm getting ready to start buyng all my decorations and substrate this week. i am pretty sure especially after watching 60 seconds last night, they were talking about the ivory bill woodpecker they found in the swamps down south.. i want to do my 55 gal as close as possible to the amazon, i tried reading up on it and i know angelfish are from a region called black water?? how can i go about making my 55 as close as possible to the amazon? i have tried looking up pics online but havent really found anything relating to this.. is there any specific colors substrate i should use? and also what kind of plants? i would really prefer to lean towards fake plants becasue i dont have the money to invest in better lighting or co2 reactors.. if anyone has any pics, links or knowledge to pass on it would be greatly appreciated..

Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The common decorations in an Amazon Biotope include: plenty of driftwood, river rocks, plants, dark background. Substrate: Natural rocks. You can have real plants without CO2. I am assuming that you have the stock lighting of 34 Watts, choose low light plants. That's what I am doing.

Here's some links:
http://www.lostmymarblz.com/amazonaquarium.htm
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....pe/amazon.html
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/biotope...blackwater.htm

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #3

You can get the plastic plants that look almost exaclty like live plants.. I had attemted a lowlight planted tank and decided it was too much trouble.. LOL, but i know angelfish LOVE amazon swords and you can get some nice plastic "amazon" swords either silk or plastic that look pretty realistic. You could also throw some Java Fern in there, I have Java Fern and Crypts in my tank as the only live plants right now and they grow really well.... without any extra stuff.
Good Luck!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Blackwater regions are only dark sand, with decaying leaves and lots and LOTS of bogwood. There are no rocks as locals collect them as commodities and there are no plants because no plants can survive the nutrient-deficient waters. There is also very, very little light protruding through the trees, your tank would be VERY hard to see in.

Ashley, Java fern is from Asia
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
really good links thanks!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com