real deal..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, i was thinking about the theme for my 55 gal, i'm getting ready to start buyng all my decorations and substrate this week. i am pretty sure especially after watching 60 seconds last night, they were talking about the ivory bill woodpecker they found in the swamps down south.. i want to do my 55 gal as close as possible to the amazon, i tried reading up on it and i know angelfish are from a region called black water?? how can i go about making my 55 as close as possible to the amazon? i have tried looking up pics online but havent really found anything relating to this.. is there any specific colors substrate i should use? and also what kind of plants? i would really prefer to lean towards fake plants becasue i dont have the money to invest in better lighting or co2 reactors.. if anyone has any pics, links or knowledge to pass on it would be greatly appreciated..

You can get the plastic plants that look almost exaclty like live plants.. I had attemted a lowlight planted tank and decided it was too much trouble.. LOL, but i know angelfish LOVE amazon swords and you can get some nice plastic "amazon" swords either silk or plastic that look pretty realistic. You could also throw some Java Fern in there, I have Java Fern and Crypts in my tank as the only live plants right now and they grow really well.... without any extra stuff.
Good Luck!!!

Blackwater regions are only dark sand, with decaying leaves and lots and LOTS of bogwood. There are no rocks as locals collect them as commodities and there are no plants because no plants can survive the nutrient-deficient waters. There is also very, very little light protruding through the trees, your tank would be VERY hard to see in.

Ashley, Java fern is from Asia :)

Back
Top Bottom