Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So apparently there are people out there who actually do like fish but don't care for them!! I found a great deal on craigslist, a least I thought I had. I go to this guys house and he has tanks everywhere, water is disgusting and fish look terrible, he then goes on to explain to me that everyone else is wrong, fish need to be fed only once a week, and their water changed only once every... Wait for it... SIX MONTHS!! He never changes their water! An he has everything from guppies to goldfish and back to Pacu's! He had a Pacu in a 10g!! I just had to post this cause I am dumbfounded that people could think these horrible living conditions are acceptable...

That stinks. I wouldn't attack him on the PWC thing, though, because there are exceptions. In the book I'm reading the author places emphasis on the fact that a well-balanced planted aquarium (a soil tank, not an ordinary planted tank) should barely need any water changes. I somewhat disagree, but I have to read further.

Unfortunately, this is life and everyone treats animals differently. Just walk away.

I can see that because the plants will absorb most waste but these were totally plantless, gravel tanks, and they didn't look good at all, I just don't understand treating a live animal like that

I don't care what size tank, type of substrate, filter media, heavily planted, etc... you need to do regular water changes. Without water changes your fish will suffer, plain and simple. With aquariums you don't have a large enough body of water to simply let it go for years without any ill effects.

I agree meegosh, but the thing that kills me was that poor pacu, it was probably a good 7-8" long in a 10g tank! I felt bad just looking at it.

I don't care what size tank, type of substrate, filter media, heavily planted, etc... you need to do regular water changes. Without water changes your fish will suffer, plain and simple. With aquariums you don't have a large enough body of water to simply let it go for years without any ill effects.

Agree. Like I said, I'm still skeptical about it.

I see this (to some extent) eveytime I walk into my local petco. Worst part is, is that if they have a dead fish and the other tankmates are eating on it, they say it's just natures way of cleaning up the enviroment.

Needless to say I never buy fish there and only buy products that I might need right away.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom