Really aggressive swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phreeky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 35gal or so tank, had it running at bare minimum for ages - just a single male swordtail (there was a female, she jumped out and died overnight long ago).

Anyway finally got it all together, plants, light, more fish - a new female swordtail, 3 small gouramis, a few neon tetras and two mystery snails.

For a couple of days it looked all merry except the male swordtail would occasionally have a quick dash at the gouramis. Today he has been chasing the gouramis out heaps, and was trying to nibble at the snails!

He has been playing nice with the tetras and female swordtail.

The snails were not dealing with it well at all, so I pulled said aggressive swordtail out and put in another tank where I knew he wouldn't be bossy (it has some angels in it), but I'd love to put him back in. What to do?

I knew they would be aggressive towards other male swordtails, but didn't realise he'd be this bad towards the other unrelated species. He has had plenty of food too btw. After a couple of days in with the angels maybe he'll be fine to put back into the other tank again????

Maybe, yes. Some people try completely rearranging the tank as well, to sorta confuse the fish. I would try to add it back in and see what happens. Maybe keep an eye on them for a while too, but give him time to make an attitude adjustment.

As a last resort, try removing the fish, moving a few things around in the tank, then add them back. It can sometimes upset previous territories so that they have to make new ones.

Anyways, hope it works out.

Livebearers can be a pain. Whenever I have an overly aggressive one, I feed it to my sunfish. The sunfish has to eat. Hopefully your's calms down a bit. What I forsee though is he'll probably go after your angels as well.

Well while he was with the angelfish, he was anything but the boss. They're a bit bigger than him, plus there is three of them that actually live quite happily together (amazing) - well at least since one died because they others tore him to shreds, but the remainder live in peace :(

Anyway, I've since put the swordtail back in the original tank. I think I've figured out the problem, and it's a little sad I suppose - the female swordtail appears to enjoy swimming around with the gouramis, not aggressive at all, and the male wants to follow her around everywhere. Now the gouramis are scared of anything that looks like him, so swim away from the female too.

I'm considering buying another female swordtail, maybe a higher number of females than males will keep him "busy" with his own type more??? It's probably worth giving a shot, with the tetras enjoying one particular spot of the tank, and the gouramis playing amongst a partiicular plant, there is a lot of open space in there (if it gets crowded, it just means i can justify a bigger tank! :D)

In your 35 gallon, you should have a 4-1 ratio on swarodtails, (4females-1male). So the 1 female doesnt get all the.... attention. :wink:
And how big is the groumies, and how big is the male sword? If their to small, (groumies) the swordtail may think their just a big lunch. GOOD LUCK and try rearranging the tank

Back
Top Bottom