Really confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just witnessed the weirdest thing between my fish. I have 4 harlequin rasboras and an angelfish together in a 29g right now. The tank is just getting going, I planned to finish out my rasbora school but fell in love with this angel at my lfs. The angel will be moved to a larger tank soon. Anyway shortly after I get the these particles started coming off of my angelfish. I couldn't really tell what color they were because they were so small but they could have been white or clear. My rasboras went over to her and started eating the particles, my angel went after a few of them, and then it all stopped. No more particles and she hasn't paid any attention to the rasboras since. Does anyone have any idea what might have just happened??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Possible slime coat coming off due to stress when first introduced? I do believe Angels have a tendency to have their slime coat get funky when in new tanks.
That's the only thing I know of that I could possibly be...if it's gone I wouldn't pay much mind to it especially if the angel didn't seem lethargic or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Possible slime coat coming off due to stress when first introduced? I do believe Angels have a tendency to have their slime coat get funky when in new tanks.
That's the only thing I know of that I could possibly be...if it's gone I wouldn't pay much mind to it especially if the angel didn't seem lethargic or anything.

That could be.. I didn't think of that. I just put her in Tuesday. Other than that she is acting fine, she's like a puppy haha every time I go to the tank she is right at the glass and she follows me.

Yeah if that's the case just keep an eye on her and keep water quality up.

I've been doing this for 40 years and never heard of anything like you describe. Did the angle's scales appear normal, flat? Did the particles come from the scale surface or from under the scales? Look closely to see if any scales are missing. Some times pond raised angles get these knot looking things on them that swell right before releasing so sort of organism. When I witnessed that, it appeared to be the larval stage of something otherwise harmless.

I agree with henningc because it sounds like they were eating something off her, like grooming behavior, and that the angel even went after some of them it seems whatever they were was pretty tasty! I think they were an organism or tiny animal of some kind, not scales, but anyway it sounds like your problem got all eaten up. :D Good outcome.

No scales are missing or raised. It looked like it came off the surface, like it was brushed off by her fins

Where did the particles come off out of interest? Was it around the gills? Wasn't sure when you said fins. I was assuming also this couldn't of been from feeding. Say where they pinch a wafer or something and sit there 'chewing' on it and blowing some back out through the gills. Otherwise I'm just as confused.

Where did the particles come off out of interest? Was it around the gills? Wasn't sure when you said fins. I was assuming also this couldn't of been from feeding. Say where they pinch a wafer or something and sit there 'chewing' on it and blowing some back out through the gills. Otherwise I'm just as confused.

It could have been around the gills but it looked more like it was behind the pectoral fins, like as she was "flapping" them it was coming off. I feed color enhancing flakes and this wasn't red so I don't think it was food.

Back
Top Bottom