Really dumb question ab 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. Finally got the 20g long tank cleaned and squared away and now it's ready to be started!!!!

However, I don't have a stand for it.
Do you know what I can safely put it on? I have a bookshelf that fits the aquarium I just don't know if it will hold once full.
Any ideas would be helpful!

I wouldn't put it on a bookshelf, they typically aren't built to hold up anything as heavy as a 20 gallon tank. Most desks and dressers would be able to hold up a 20 gallon as long as they've been sturdily built. Keep in mind that a full 20 gallon aquarium will weigh about 200lbs.

A good rule i use for the smaller tanks is, if you can safely stand on it, or if you're really small two of you, then it's good for an aquarium

I just faced this issue awhile back, thinking I could get an end table or something to set the tank on. Most of them didn't seem to be rated for much weight, so I didn't want to chance it. I looked online, but didn't have a lot of luck there, esp with the 29G I had picked out. So, I returned the tank and found a tank and stand at my LFS. That way, I knew it could withstand the weight of the tank.

Yeah you guys are right. I was going to put the tank in my bedroom on my Nanny's old very heavy and well made dresser, but my water changer was about 2 feet shy from my sink.
I live in a very small one bedroom "beach" apartment. I have my main 37g in my kitchen ( it's the biggest room in my apartment) and my nursery tank... I have the wall space, so I'll just add the 20 gallon there. Maybe I'll put the nursery tank in my bedroom bc it's small and WC's aren't messy with it.

I got a stand from walmart for 10/20 gallon tank. It'll be fine for now until I can come by a good steal.
My main tank/stand cost me $250... I don't have that kind of money laying around but I'm having issues with my pleco and my Cory's so I need to move them ASAP.

Off topic and I'm sorry- are plecos's aggressive at all? I came home from work today and not one, but 2 of my Cory's were spilt in half... It was weird. ( I had 6 Cory's, the pleco, 4 juvenile angel fish, 4 platy's and 3 GBR- they're not even 1/2 an inch right now and they're going in that 20g)
My parameters are prefect and steady... They were literally split right in half.

Off topic and I'm sorry- are plecos's aggressive at all? I came home from work today and not one, but 2 of my Cory's were spilt in half... It was weird. ( I had 6 Cory's, the pleco, 4 juvenile angel fish, 4 platy's and 3 GBR- they're not even 1/2 an inch right now and they're going in that 20g)
My parameters are prefect and steady... They were literally split right in half.

That is very odd. I would suspect your angels or GBRs instead of your pleco, probably your GBRs. But split perfectly in half? That's very odd, and I'm not sure if a fish would be at fault, or they hit something sharp or something like that............

:-( the GBR are so small!!!! They don't seem aggressive at all. They kind of stick together when they swim.

I have 3 quarter sized angels and 1 nickel sized angel. I've beer seen them be aggressive either. But who knows what goes on when I'm at work.

Now for a dumb noob question... My 20g is all ready to be started tomorrow- what's the quickest and safest way to get this tank cycled properly so I can move the GBR's to their own tank? Can I put the platy's in with them or are they safer with the Angels? I also have 20 platy fry so I was hoping to put a few in each tank... I'm just not sure how that's going to work.

I apologize for all the off topic questions.

:-( the GBR are so small!!!! They don't seem aggressive at all. They kind of stick together when they swim.

I have 3 quarter sized angels and 1 nickel sized angel. I've beer seen them be aggressive either. But who knows what goes on when I'm at work.

Now for a dumb noob question... My 20g is all ready to be started tomorrow- what's the quickest and safest way to get this tank cycled properly so I can move the GBR's to their own tank? Can I put the platy's in with them or are they safer with the Angels? I also have 20 platy fry so I was hoping to put a few in each tank... I'm just not sure how that's going to work.

I apologize for all the off topic questions.

Well, as I said before, since the cories were cut in half, I would think that some freak accident happened and the fish are not to blame.

The quickest and safest way to cycle a tank is to use filter media from an established tank. Just put the seeded media in the 20 gallon's filter, and it is pretty close to an instant cycle.

I would just recommend the 3 GBRs and possibly some platy fry in the 20, just due to space.

It's OK to ask all these questions, we all have to start somewhere. (y)

Thanks, bud :)

Woke up this morning to another Cory gone :-( this one wasn't in half, just missing his tail.... I'm so upset bc that's 3 in the last 2 days.

I have a different filter for the 20 gallon, so can I start by hanging the filter for the 20g in my 37g?

My 37 has an aqua clear filter and my 20g is going to have a tetra filter until I can get an aqua clear.

:smack head: I feel like such an ***. It's been a while since I've lost a fish and now 3... I'm SO ANGRY AT MYSELF.

I'm really curious as to what is attacking the cories. It doesn't sound like a freak accident to me anymore it.sounds like.attack. if.you find out who the culprit is please let us know!

Pipedreamer- as soon as I find out I'll be sure to let you know.

I asked the guy from the LFS that I got the GBR from and he said it could be them. The Cory's were in before my angels were, so idk.

I'm setting this tank up today, seeding it with media and substrate from my 37 so crossing my fingers it'll be ready for the weekend.

I'm not using the same substrate tho- would it be ok to put the "old" substrate into the new tank in panty hose?

What I have seen people do this for stand but usually for very large tanks. Some people just stack up cinder blocks and put their tank on there. Like 3 or 4 columns. It's cheap and effective it just doesn't look the best

Vanimal- that is an awesome idea!!!! I'm mad now bc I went out and bought the stand and I have blocks galore in my yard! Ugh.
Just put a nice piece of cloth- like a table cloth or something to fancy it up a little!!!

I'm using that next time!

Vanimal- that is an awesome idea!!!! I'm mad now bc I went out and bought the stand and I have blocks galore in my yard! Ugh.
Just put a nice piece of cloth- like a table cloth or something to fancy it up a little!!!

I'm using that next time!

i have seen them painted as well

Geronica said:
i have seen them painted as well

I like them because you can add some or take some off depending on how high you want your tank. But the bad thing is it doesn't work well on carpet.

I'm really curious as to what is attacking the cories. It doesn't sound like a freak accident to me anymore it.sounds like.attack. if.you find out who the culprit is please let us know!

A missing tail sounds more like an attack, yes, but a fish cut exactly in half does not sound like the result of an attack......

Is there anything even relatively sharp in the aquarium?

Negative.

My water parameters are stable and consistent. Came home today and a ram was gone. No tail.

SMH I don't know what I've done wrong.
Waiting for this 20g to cycle is going to be the death of me.

Back
Top Bottom