really needing to do water change but can't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm needing to do a water change in my 29 but feel like I can't until my seachem comes in the mail.
I have to use seachem neutral regulator to stabilize my Ph without it the level sits at 8.8 with its 7.4 even with all of the DW in my tank.
I don't want to risk another Ph spike but I know I need to do a pwc. Should I risk it? Or should I just wait?

Why are you using PH regulators? Most fish will adapt to your PH; stability is key. Messing with PH can just cause more problems. WHat fish do you have?

My PH out of the tap is 8.4 but after it gasses out it goes down to 7.2. I've done larger water changes (75%) straight from the tap in my tank and my fish haven't had any issues, just remember the dechlorinator. :)

My PH is a steady 8.4-8.5 after it off-gasses. The fish actually seem to like the PH a little higher (I used to keep it at 7.4). You should be fine. Like Librarygirl said just remember the dechlorinator.

JMO for what it's worth

Last edited:
librarygirl said:
Why are you using PH regulators? Most fish will adapt to your PH; stability is key. Messing with PH can just cause more problems. WHat fish do you have?

My PH out of the tap is 8.4 but after it gasses out it goes down to 7.2. I've done larger water changes (75%) straight from the tap in my tank and my fish haven't had any issues, just remember the dechlorinator. :)

I have always used the Ph regulator, 8.8 is the level after its gassed off. The seachem removes the chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia if any as well as stabilizing the Ph. I've used it since setting up the tank. That's why I'm worried that if I don't use it this time I'll have a problem.
Oh and I have mainly livebearers as well as emperor tetras, neons, and a bn pleco.

8.8 is way up there and I'd wager to say that your neons and pleco might not like that too much. Most livebearers like hard water (ours won't breed without crushed coral in the tanks), and emperors are pretty indestructible. I'd probably wait for the neutral regulator to show up... and if you want an interesting future breeding project, Tanganyikan cichlids would like your tap water quite a bit. :D

Thanks severum! I think I'll wait, I understand what librarygirl was saying about how the fish will adjust but I didn't want to risk having a spike when they are used to it being at 7.4, I was worried that a dramatic change like that would result in me losing fish. I want to thank everyone for the advice! And the Tanganyikan cichlids sound like a cool idea! I will do a bit of research on it tonight!

I doubt that it would actually change that much, but I'd still be inclined to wait. Hopefully the neutral reg. shows up soon.

severum mama said:
I doubt that it would actually change that much, but I'd still be inclined to wait. Hopefully the neutral reg. shows up soon.

Thanks again severum, it should show up sometime this week. My little bn pleco is making such a mess of the tank so I hope I get it soon!

bud29 said:
This is for my own benefit, this product is called Seachem neutral regulator? And it makes the pH neutral?

IMO it is best not to mess with pH in most situations, but the OP is sort of an extreme case.

severum mama said:
IMO it is best not to mess with pH in most situations, but the OP is sort of an extreme case.

Very true as librarygirl had stated earlier, most fish will adjust to the high Ph. You could cause more problems messing with the Ph. if you have hardy fish there is no reason to use the regulator.
I just didn't want to stray off of topic by going into details about the topic that's why I said that I would send the pm.

Back
Top Bottom