Rearranged my aquarium and made a "tree"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been wanting to create a "tree" out of moss for my aquarium and finally got around to it. I moved some things around to make room for it. My plants are were only planted about 4 weeks ago and haven't been doing so well. The stems turned black on the ludwigia and penny wort so I had to trim them and replant. They had grown roots above the black part so I hope they start growing better soon. My dwarf sagittaria died back to the roots but is putting out new leaves. The money wort grew tall but is starting to put out new leaves closer to the roots.

My tree is was made from a branch that I stripped the bark off of and boiled for about 30 minutes. It was a water birch limb that had been sitting outside in a spring on my property for a year and was well seasoned. I do not use pesticides and live in a rural country area so I thought it would do okay. So far so good. The fish love it. I cut pieces of plastic mesh and tied Christmas moss to them with thread. The moss was on hold in another aquarium and had started to grow some. I hope it does well in this aquarium. I am really hoping that the moss fills in and covers the plastic mesh. I have no experience wit aquarium plants but I have been reading everything I can find on planted aquariums. I am using Flourish Comprehensive and root tabs. My light is T8 64 watts four foot light for now. I am going to be upgrading my light in the next few weeks. I have been playing around with diy CO2 in my 10 gal. and will be adding it to my 29 gal. when I get a drop checker. I don't want to kill my fish. I am also going to order some API CO2 booster when I order the light.

The two lights I am debating between are
http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-2x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52122p.htm

or

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

I like the second light because of the included moonlight LEDs but I would get more light spread with the 36" light. Money is an issue and I cannot justify spending more than $55 on a light.

If anybody has any ideas for plants that might make my aquascape look better, feel free to suggest them.

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 735
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_0190.jpg
    100_0190.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 1,147
Here is an update on my tree. Looking good. The tree has had the unexpected benefit of helping my ghost shrimp multiply. I have at least 7 new tiny ghost shrimp about the size of an ant. Plus several in different stages of growth. Yay!

Attachments

• treeupdate (2).jpg
    treeupdate (2).jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 223
  • treecloseup (2).jpg
    treecloseup (2).jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 270
Thanks everyone. I got the idea from another post on here. They had a picture of a tank with a tree and hobbit house they wanted to replicate. I did a little searching and found out how they were doing it and made my own. I was originally looking at plastic trees. I am looking for a good deal on a 20 long or other larger aquarium to make an entire underwater scene. I want to do a post apocalypse ruined city diorama. I have found so many decaying buildings for aquariums. Thought I would make a series of small bushes and trees for it. Just got to find the right aquarium.

OMG! I just tried to make a tree, hasn't grown in yet. But I just stuck it to the end of the "tree". Using those, whatever they have to spread it out is a great idea!! Beautiful!

I used plastic canvas from the craft section at Walmart. It cones in 12x12 inch sheets or bigger. Cost around .33 cents a sheet. I have seen chopsticks used. place them across each other and tie n the middle. Then glue to top of branch. I just thought the plastic canvas would give me larger tree tops. I think if I do it again, I will cut the plastic canvas into star fish like shapes to give it more of a branch look. The canvas is stiff enough for that. I saw one with baby tears as the leaves and it looked more tree like. The possibilities are endless.

Back
Top Bottom