Rebuilding my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
*I know I posted this originally in getting started but with a suggestion I moved it here, thanks!
Although I am mainly a dart frogger I have had a 10 gallon plexi glass hex tank for a long time. I have had it running with fish for about 2.5-3 years. Right now I have a couple live plants floating around after being used with tadpoles and fake plants. I want to redo it with full live plants and new wood and such. I have a aquaclear mini pump and heater temp is 76-77 during the day and 74 at night. Just bought a new lamp for it, 2 9 inch 18 watt compact fluorescent and they are 10,000K daylight and a True Actinic 03 blue bulbs. Just wondering what some good plant suggestions would be. I am going to my lfs to get water rechecked because when I added 6 ghost shrimp 3 weeks ago I lost all but 1. And current fish population is 2 zebra danios and 1 leopard danio. I would like to add hatchet fish and am looking for suggestions. Thanks everyone!

my first plant suggestion:

get rid of the actinic bulbs. they do nothing for plants. anything from the 3200K range up to 10000K is preferred, with 5500K and 6700K being optimal.

After getting my water checked today they say it is probably recycling or something wierd is going on
pH 7.3
Ammonia .8mg/l
Nitrite .2 mg/l
Nitrages I think it says 50 mg/l but yeah
So the guys I talked to recommended some Amquel so I am doing a partial water change today with the amquel and checking water again in 2 weeks. About the bulbs, those are what came with it, I will look for a different bulb online because the store didn't have any the right size. Thanks!

Amquel??? Isn't that a dechlorinator? Who were you talking to?

What you do need is some major water changes, try 15-20% every day or so for a week or two. And you shouldn't have a heat difference during night and day if you're keeping fish in there.

AmQuel
Removes Ammonia, Chloramines and Chlorine, thats what it says on the bottle. And the guy said it would reduce my ammonia level so we'll see

Back
Top Bottom