Recommemded Water Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

I live in the UK and it is really hot here at the moment. The water temp in my fish tank has risen to 27C and i'm worried that may be too hot for the fish. I have the below fish in my tank

black moor
panda moor
oranda
ryukin
red cap oranda
leopard pleco
common goldfish

What would be the optimium temperature for this mix of fish and how can I keep the tank cooler? It is far away from the window and not in direct sunlight. It just gets really hot in this flat!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Princess1982 said:
Hi All

I live in the UK and it is really hot here at the moment. The water temp in my fish tank has risen to 27C and i'm worried that may be too hot for the fish. I have the below fish in my tank

black moor
panda moor
oranda
ryukin
red cap oranda
leopard pleco
common goldfish

What would be the optimium temperature for this mix of fish and how can I keep the tank cooler? It is far away from the window and not in direct sunlight. It just gets really hot in this flat!

Thanks in advance for your help!

If the temp is too high you can put ice in a Baggie & float it in the tank. I'm not a Goldie expert so someone more experienced with them will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but it think they like temps in the low 70's. The Pleco though . . . . I thought liked temps a little warmer but if you keep it 70-74 I'd think everyone would be happy.

Plecos can handle colder temperatures than most tropical fish. It would be fine in 70 degree water. But yeah just float a bag of ice also turning your tank lights off will help.

Hi Princess! 27c (@80f) is a bit on the warm side. Not deadly and I know its been a gradual increase (vs in same hour). Do you have AC? I would crank it up a bit if possible. Keeping the lights off and floating bags/jugs of dechlorinated water will also help as suggested. Blowing a fan across the surface will help as well. A permanent solution would be a chiller but they are not cheap. Ideally, you want to keep them in the 70-74 range but a bit warmer is ok, too (up to 76). Ice, lights off & fan should be enough to drop your tank down a few degrees. Just make sure you have good aeration because warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen and goldies have high oxygen needs. :)

Hi All.

Yeh I thought it was a bit warm. Haven't used the lights at all as I thought that would increase the temperature even further . I will try the ice in a bag method and see if that helps.

We don't really have a/c in homes in the UK! I know you guys in the US have it a lot. Believe me I wish I did today!

Thanks all for you help!

Back
Top Bottom