Recovering from an almost full loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardex

Aquarium Advice Activist
My heater went nuts while I was at work Friday came home and my 55 gallon tank was 106 I lost almost everything in the tank, the only survivors are 7 green corys 3 peppers (they started as 3 of each) and 1 clown loach that thinks he is a Cory not sure how the bottom fish lived and none of the others did. I replaced the heater and have been doing 20% water changes every day of the fish that are left most seem to be doing fine not too sure if one of the baby Cory's is going to make it he is out of the school and hides under the plants. What do I need to do for the recovery

My heater went nuts while I was at work Friday came home and my 55 gallon tank was 106 I lost almost everything in the tank, the only survivors are 7 green corys 3 peppers (they started as 3 of each) and 1 clown loach that thinks he is a Cory

How old is your heater and what brand? Some companies should be held responsible for these losses it's nonsense with technology today that these things don't last or work properly within an acceptable number of years.

How old is your heater and what brand? Some companies should be held responsible for these losses it's nonsense with technology today that these things don't last or work properly within an acceptable number of years.

It was the stealth heater that was recalled it looks like the recall happened about 2 months after I got the heater I'm kinda mad that big Al's did not send me an email about the recall but happy I got home before it started a fire

Hi sorry to hear of your loss and most frustrating when its not your fault!:(
Just do as you are,small water changes and test the water if possible just to make sure everything is OK? Strange the bottom dwellers faired best? I feed JBL novo tab to my cories and they go mad for it:)

Been testing every day everything is stable but I don't want to restock it until I'm sure the tank is not having to cycle

Good thinking. Take your time, your patience will be rewarded.

I also have to figure out what to do with the tank it's planted I had a pair of angles and a school of 17 glow light tetras I don't feel like having any large fish In the tank thinking about a school of Harlequins

I also have to figure out what to do with the tank it's planted I had a pair of angles and a school of 17 glow light tetras I don't feel like having any large fish In the tank thinking about a school of Harlequins

What about a sorority of Bettas? School of platties? I have a planted tank also with platties, neons, Cories, pair of blue rams, two clown loaches, and a rainbow shark

It was the stealth heater that was recalled it looks like the recall happened about 2 months after I got the heater I'm kinda mad that big Al's did not send me an email about the recall but happy I got home before it started a fire

I would send them an email anyway, just to make them aware that your disappointed. See if they would replace yours. Kill them with kindness but be firm that your dissatisfied, worked for me a couple times in my dealings with customer service with a couple companies.

Hi sorry to hear of your loss and most frustrating when its not your fault!:(
Just do as you are,small water changes and test the water if possible just to make sure everything is OK? Strange the bottom dwellers faired best? I feed JBL novo tab to my cories and they go mad for it:)

It's not surprising that the bottom fish were the only survivors. Heat rises. The bottom of the tank would of been the coolest spot.

Just an update when I got home last night the baby I was worried about was dead the others are doing fine however several of the plants have started to die and I had an ammonia reading of .25 first time It has been anything other then 0 out of all the test I have done over the past week on the bright side the clown loach has gone back to playing soccer with the miss ball so I am taking that as a good sign

Back
Top Bottom