Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am "building" (yeah, right, a one gallon) RCS tank. I have it set up and have 4 RCS (2 male, 2 female) in there. I am hoping that they breed. I have some sort of moss (not sure, wasn't labeled at LFS) in there for them. They like it. I fed them some shrimp (cannibal! I know. Lol) pellets and they seemed to like those but I want to get them better food. What are some good foods for them?

any foods;) just don't over feed

a 1" algae wafer can feed around 30 shrimp for 2-3 days, so for those shrimp, I'd do 1/2 an algae wafer per week if only feeding them..........

u can feed flake, anything edible;) and dont worry, u'll be wanting to get rid of all those cherrys soon when u have the substrate seemign to be teeming/alive with RCS
lol

I feed mine algae wafers (not a whole one obviously, a quarter or two of one for about 25) and also shrimp pellets, the wafers more than the pellets. I feed 2-3 times a week, they don't need a ton.

try getting some Fluval shrimp feed (hard to find in store, but readily available on a certain online auction site) or White Pellet; which is specifically designed for rcs and crs

I am broke right now, so I don't want to order anything that I don't immediately need-but thanks for the suggestion!

If you do keep the flow to a minimum. If you keep the moss alive though, I don't think it will be necessary with just 4 RCS.

You might have trouble getting them to breed in such a small tank.

If you do keep the flow to a minimum. If you keep the moss alive though, I don't think it will be necessary with just 4 RCS.

You might have trouble getting them to breed in such a small tank.
I would try to, maybe a small sponge filter.
I think I'll just keep the moss in there and hope they breed. I have high lighting for that tank (13 watt CFL) so it should be fine. If they don't breed then I will move them to my 5 gallon tank.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that high lighting, but it ought to be just fine for moss. They will definitely breed in a 5 gal (I have had 100 of them or so in a 5:) ). It seems like a lot of neocaridina species will breed more readily than others, so it might work out. Just remember how prolific the breeding will be will be connected to how stable and good the water parameters are (temp, nitrate, GH, etc). The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep those parameters stable.

fort384 said:
I wouldn't call that high lighting, but it ought to be just fine for moss. They will definitely breed in a 5 gal (I have had 100 of them or so in a 5:) ). It seems like a lot of neocaridina species will breed more readily than others, so it might work out. Just remember how prolific the breeding will be will be connected to how stable and good the water parameters are (temp, nitrate, GH, etc). The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep those parameters stable.

Ok. I might move them to my 5 gallon on thursday

I changed my mind and decided to put the shrimp in my ten gallon QT. I put the moss clump and a bunch of other plants with them. I ordered a heater online and it arrives tomorrow. What should I set the temperature at?
The ten gallon is temporary until Friday, when I get fish that I will quarantine. The guppy fry will move out then, too, and I will move the shrimp to the five gallon. It has way more than enough filtration, and it is heated at a constant 76 degrees.

jetajockey said:
I keep my RCS at room temp which ranges from upper 60s to low 70s, they do great in it.

Ok, so should I set it to 70? My room temp gets below 63 at night. That's probably too cold.

Yeah low 60s is a bit much, but I've kept them in it also. My CRS seem to like the lower 60s more, but both have done fine in it. Lower temps means lower activity levels. As Fort mentioned though 70+ is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom