Red Claw Crab Molted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverain420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. I posted a few days ago, a similar question. My female red claw crab molted (I'd only had her a couple of days!) and I am unsure how long to leave the old exoskeleton in the tank. I am aware that they typically eat it to get the calcium they need to get ther new shell hardened, but how long do I leave it? She molted Saturday night, and still has not eaten it. I have seen her nibble on it, but there is not even a noticible dent in the exoskeleton. Should I take it out now, or leave it in a couple more days? Thanks.

Jen

I leave mine in for a week.

Since I have 6 fiddlers in my main tank, if the molter won't eat it, someone will

Thanks. A couple of websites advised I take it out after 24 hours, but I actually just got home from work and it is pretty much gone! My male looks like he may molt soon too! So far so good in just a five gallon, I haven't seen any aggression between the two. I hope I lucked out!

Jen

Thanks. A couple of websites advised I take it out after 24 hours, but I actually just got home from work and it is pretty much gone! My male looks like he may molt soon too! So far so good in just a five gallon, I haven't seen any aggression between the two. I hope I lucked out!

Jen

Back
Top Bottom