Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red Claw Crab or Blue Crayfish

I am a newbie and need some tips .... I have a Biology project, where I have to get a freshwater crustacean (crayfish, shrimp, or crab) and I am deciding either a red claw crab or a blue crayfish. Which one of the two will last till September?

I read that the red claw crabs need air to live and can escape. Does the crayfish do the same thing as well? I read that the crayfish can live just in freshwater with a cave?

Any tips would be great!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Red claw crabs are escape artists-my cousin had one crawl out of its tank, down the stairs and behind some other junk. The blue crayfish will grow quickly.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I would go with the blue crayfish in at least a 20 gallon long.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a redclaw crab as long as you cover the tank he is just fine and let the water level down so he can climp out to the surface wonder creature to look at for hours. mine jumps from on decorative place to another and swims up for about four inches.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

All my crabs ever do is hide! Be advised... it will probably happen you too. Mine are fiddler crabs, Uca Spp. though, not red claws. However I would expect most crabs to act the same way. They're a kick to watch when they're out and about though. =)

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is your biology project about, it sounds really interesting. Just curious.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_7
What is your biology project about, it sounds really interesting. Just curious.
We had to get in groups of 4 and he has 18 tanks / groups open for all of his Biology classes. So there were more than 18 groups and he did a lottery drawing and we were picked. (Oh yeah, the project is extra credit ) Then for each tank, there is a different topic. Freshwater crustacean, turtile, fish, etc. We picked the freshwater crustacean.

Thats about it!

Tags
blue crayfish, claw, crab, crayfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Feeding | eels »