red claw crab questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishkami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi =) I'm new here, so I'm sorry if someone's already asked this recently, but I really need help getting answers to some questions about my red claw crab. I just got him a week or so ago, and about three days ago, he molted. Does anyone know how long it takes for a crab to recover after he molts? Is there anything I can do to help him? I heard somewhere that feeding them calcium supplements can help but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them.

Also is it true that these crabs need access to air? Any suggestions about how I can rig my tank in a way where he could get some? How often do they need air? How long can they stay submerged without it? THANK YOU SO MUCH!! =))) I'm new at this. :D

Hi. Don't worry about anyone elses questions. You ask your questions. It'll keep your fish alive ;)

I don't know exactly how long it takes for a crab's shell to harden, but here are a couple of pointers to help them...

Calcium enriched foods are best. Veggies are generally a good source. Foods made specifically for crabs are readily available on the market in any LFS or general pet store. Avoid resorting to coral skeletons if you have soft water fish. Otherwise a natural calcium object in the tank will help as well. A secured hiding place will ensure safety during a very vunerable time.

I don't think it's essencial for the crab to get out of the water, though a half and half environment is fun and even more enjoyable. If you go that route...

Have the tank about half way filled with water and use an internal filter. Even a simple inexpensive sponge filter or one of those old fashion corner filters. Just remember crabs have legs and will climb. Secure the top. I find screen tops for terrariums efficient. Good air exposure too. A hole or two would need to be made for plugs and wires but can easily be stuffed with a piece of paper towel or natural sponge. The sponge is more attractive to the scene so to speak.

I find wood, flat slate, and lace or lava rock to build up land areas. Covering the outer parts with peat moss will help filter waste and eliminate odors. If you really want to have fun...you can build a water fall that allows the output of water to flow over the moss. It makes for excellent bio filtration. Internal filters generally have a round output. You can string a hose from the filter to where ever you want the water to come out from. The hose can be hidden with plants and moss.

If you're not into remodeling, an airstone should be enough.

Back
Top Bottom