Red Claw Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bioworldmaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi
I keep reading contradictory info on red-clawed crabs. (i.e Google)
Some sources say the crab needs a plataform out of the water to rest on, some say they will live completelly under water no problem.
So instead of relying on who knows who wrote which website, lets hear what the experts here have to say on that...? :?:

I'm not an expert but I know that red claws can live both ways! A friend of mine has one and it has happily lived underwater for quite some time now, although it has escaped and they found it outside. 8O I think if you were to build up something like slate and large rocks you may get from the beach they would live there. On the pther hand they live happily inside bogwood or rocks with holes inside. They hack away at rocks and make themselves a kind of burrow.

lyquidphyre said:
with something like that, how difficult would it be to add a platform to see what the crab likes best =o)
I couldnt do any harm. Try him in a small tank, so it is easier to reach the top. Something like a tiny quarantine tank should do. If he prefers it that way, some work is needed. If not, release him into the main community.

ploughking said:
release him into the main community.

and by "main community" he means with no other fish because they will grab anything they can and eat em. That is something that should be in a small tank by itself

lol erm no. My friends lives happily in a 90 gal one with a huge community. Maybe a gourami or 4, larger than most other fish, would keep bullying under control.
"Touch that fish and get eaten".
They can live in small comunties as well. I've seen many in a small tank. Unfortuantly, the LFS incorrectly labels them "red crabs" instead of red claws.

Well, thats good that it doesn't mess with any of your other fish but they can be known to nip at and eat other fish (many horror stories on this forum :) )

Back
Top Bottom