Red Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I recently converted a 3gal tank into a crab tank, i've made a beach out of sand and stuck in some rocks that are out of the water etc and it is about half full of water. About a week ago I bought 1 red crab to live in the tank (looks like a male) and all he seems to do is hide behind the big rock in there, I know he comes out at night and roams all over because there are claw-prints all over the sand in the morning and if I put food in he eats it (usually while I'm not looking or not there). Is this normal behaviour for a red crab? Is there anything I can do to entice him out of his hiding place? I thought about putting a light in the hood as this may prevent him seeing me outside his tank....?? :? Also, the tank is not heated but remains at a steady 22-23 degrees C, would putting a heater in make him any more active?

Thanks for any help, it's really difficult to find info on these guys on the web.

Cheers

Mike :D

IMHO, crabs are shy once they are first introduced to a tank.

It will take him some time to get used to his new territory, and the giant monster [you :p ] outside of his little world that watches him.

Give him a week or two more, he should start to settle by then I would think.

Cheers, I'll try and stay away from him for while then. Hope he does settle in ok, he's pretty damn boring at the moment.!!! :(

Don't stay away, he won't get used to you then :)

To my crabs, and everyone else in my tanks. I'm just a piece of furniture in hte background, and a thing that magically gives them food :p

Once he learns your the food giver, he'll be right out there looking at you all the time, thats how my crabs do when their hungry 0X

i found that my 4 fiddlers are always hiding in burrows and under rocks all the time except during the night they are all over. i thought this was pretty much normal crab behavior

My guys are out and about foraging in the substrate day and night looking for food/aserting territories/exploring/atempting escape/ect/ect/ :p

Back
Top Bottom