RED-EARED SLIDER TURTLE & PECASOMUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starcombs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
CAN THEY BE IN THE SAME TANK? I HAVE A FILTER ON MY TURTLES TANK, HOWEVER THE ALGAE IS QUICKLY BUILDING UP AND I WAS THINKING I WOULD GET A BIGGER PECASOMUS TO HELP OUT A LITTLE

I do not know this answer but information on the tank is probably going to be needed. What is the size of the tank? What kind of pleco are you looking for? What kind of algae is building up?

I have a slider tank. i do not know about putting a fish in with her. I wouldn't want to risk it. I change 95% of the water once a week and it seems to keep the algae under control.

My buddy had some large oscars and plecos in a 75G RES Tank and when the turtles got big enough they just started picking at the fish until they were dead. Evidently the eyes were the first to go.... slow, gruesome, death.

The turtles will likely (but not always) pick at something to death. The pleco may avoid the turtle wrath for a long time, because turtles have poor eyesight and are slow. Eventually, the turtle will get quick and sly enough to catch what it wants.

Like rich mentioned, weekly large water changes are required for RES. I do about 80% a week on mine, any longer and it turns green in a heartbeat.

HTH

starcombs said:
CAN THEY BE IN THE SAME TANK? I HAVE A FILTER ON MY TURTLES TANK, HOWEVER THE ALGAE IS QUICKLY BUILDING UP AND I WAS THINKING I WOULD GET A BIGGER PECASOMUS TO HELP OUT A LITTLE
I do not know about your turtle, but mine eats goldfish like candy, I am sure she would make short work of a pleco if given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom