Red gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bough 4 platy's from Petsmart. After floating, acclimating and adding them to my tank, I noticed that the new fish have bright red gills. None of my older platy's look like this. Could they have something wrong with them from Petsmart?

My readings are all normal. My tank is perfect and has been for a long time. Hence my fish do not have the red gills, only the fish I just added to the tank today.

I always drip acclimate them for an hour before adding them.

Red gills are often a sign of ammonia poisoning. A lot of fish will develop the red gills a little after the initial exposure, so its likely the red gills are from their former life/treatment and not from anything you did (since you said you are testing the water).
Sometimes, its just the color of the fish, but since you noticed it on all of them, I am guessing somebody in their past was not dutiful enough on pwc. There may not be any last effects, but be sure to keep an eye on them. For things like this, clean water and good luck will help out the fish a lot. :)

Red gills are often a sign of ammonia poisoning. A lot of fish will develop the red gills a little after the initial exposure, so its likely the red gills are from their former life/treatment and not from anything you did (since you said you are testing the water).
Sometimes, its just the color of the fish, but since you noticed it on all of them, I am guessing somebody in their past was not dutiful enough on pwc. There may not be any last effects, but be sure to keep an eye on them. For things like this, clean water and good luck will help out the fish a lot. :)

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it might be ammonia burns. They are very happy in the new tank and seem healthy otherwise.

I have a twin bar platy that has red in her cheeks. My levels are perfect so in some I think it's just a trait. I think if she was acting odd or breathing irrevocably I'd be concerned

Chronos313 said:
I have a twin bar platy that has red in her cheeks. My levels are perfect so in some I think it's just a trait. I think if she was acting odd or breathing irrevocably I'd be concerned

+1. I've got some twin bars as well with the red gills. At first I was concerned, but my ammo levels have been at 0 for the last 6 weeks, and none of my other fish have them. My current thoughts are that if they are burns, it just takes a long time to heal

Back
Top Bottom