Red Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It started out with the two platy that were fighting, well, one being picked on all the time. So about 6 weeks ago, I added two more red wagtail platy to even the first two out.

They started to breed out of no where! I was excited! So far two different times. First time 8, second time 5, all within the last 4 weeks. I'm not sure which platy gave birth, or which helped it.

The first problem? In the last week my oldest and biggest platy has been hiding under at first one rock, but the last 6 days a different rock. He has not been moving at all, and not eating. He came out when I was pouring water on the rocks he was under, and stayed at the bottom near the plants. His lips are quite dark black, he was eating at the water (for air?), and his fins were totally down along his body.

The second problem? One of the three swimming red wagtail platy, one of the newer two, has a white stomach, under his two front fins. And above the fins, towards his tail, its shades of black.

How many gallons per hour does your filter put out? There could be a lack of oxygen in your tank. The rule of thumb is that your filter should be able to compleyely turn your tank 6 times an hour, so that would mean that you would need atleast a 120 GPH filter. If you have a significantly lower number than that, that could be your problem.

When was the last time that you did a water change? What are your current water parameters (ie: PH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc?)

Alright great thanks for the reply, I will get my water tested tomorow (Monday) I just did a water change today. I do it every sunday.

The charts are great, thanks for that! ;)

Matt04, I will be the first to say it (if I don't say it, someone will!)--you should invest in a water test kit. Most LFS do it for free, but in an emergency, you will be glad to have one!

Yeah I should really do that..

However, my water was tested for ph and ammonia and they both came out normal.

Okay the platty is still so sick. I've seen him lay on the gravel for hours just breathing and bent out of shape.

I believe it must be the ammount of fish I have in my tank so I was told to buy a fish that would eat all the platty and or guppy babies, but not the parents. Anyone know of such a specie or fish?

Ooo. I wouldn't suggest adding any more fish until we can determine what exactly is going on. If its water parameters, adding fish will make it worse (more fish = more waste = more ammonia/nitrite/nitrates). If its disease, you'll wind up with more sick fish if the new one gets it.

First off, yay on the breeding! Things must have being going fairly well for the fish to breed (although livebearers are a lot less fussy about water parameters then egg layers usually).

Secondly, pH and ammonia are not the only parameters one needs to check. Nitrite and nitrates are also important. Nitrites because that also can kill fish, nitrates because they indicate how "dirty" a tank is. You really want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and below 40 ppm nitrates. When were the ammonia and pH tested? And can you find out what the nitrite and nitrate levels are?

I actually suspect disease, although poor water parameters can contribute and stress fish enough for them to be susceptible to all sorts of things. My guess is some sort of bacterial infection or fish TB. You may want to look into QT the sick fish and treating them with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanacyn.

Oh! And welcome to Aquariumadvice!

The LFS said nitrates and nitrite arn't important. >: Bastards! The ph and ammonia were tested on Tuesday. The only fish thatare effected are the palty, this making me believe its not disease. I'm no expert though. Its sad to see him they way he is, and he has been like this for over 10 days almost two weeks.

Heh, not important? Just cause nitrites are as deadly as ammonia, and fish don't do well with high nitrate levels? Hrmph ;)

Actually, because one fish is affected, I do believe its disease. If it was the water itself all of em would likely have problems. He may be the one with the weakest immune system and couldn't fight off whatever this is. I am guessing Fish TB, mostly cause of the twisted body you mention. You can read more about it here: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#TB

Yeah they let me down there. :/

He or she is the oldest and biggest (as big as a red wag platy gets) of my platy, if that helps..

Its got to be Fish Tuberculosis/TB Systemic Infection. I fed my fish live shrimp brine and the palty actually came out to eat (for the first time in a long time). His back was all out of line and he couldn't swim straight only up and down and diagonal. He quickly went back under the rock. So I'll have to find some sort of strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate or streptomycin. Don't know what that is around here (toronto/mississauga).

Back
Top Bottom