Red tail barracuda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been really wanting to change up my 75g. Planted in it is becoming quite a bit of work and I have a smaller planted tank I'll be focusing on. I've done some reading on these fish and know they prefer live fish to eat and live groups if possible.

Few questions:

1. Is a 75g suitable for a nice group of them?

2. What would be the preferred fish to feed them?

3. Could I keep my ropefish with them?

Also any other important info.

Caleb

1.)They do get pretty big and being from a river environment, they need a lot of swimming space and clean well oxygenated water. Though a bit on the nervous side, they are a very interesting active fish. So a 75G would be just fine.

2.)They only eat live foods, and they prefer fish! There is a chance they can be trained to accept pre-killed fish, but you can't count on that. Because live fish are what they like to eat, a good practice is to setup a small tank to keep a steady supply of small, live feeders available( a buddy of mine uses guppies). You can also offer them earthworms, river shrimps, and other good sized invertebrates.

3.) I have no idea actually. but i have had red tail for a brief time. but my brother actually broke my tank and they all died :( anyways it would have been better to have atleast 5 so they could school plus are less skittish. From my experience Red Tail hang at the mid or upper level of the tank, so a cichlid bet 7-10 inches would be good. A Geo maybe or a Severum would work. Personally, I would try Salvini or a Male Con but they may get too aggressive-hit and miss with them. So if you want to be on the safe side go with Severum. I have a buddy who has Severum with Hep. Odoe-and they are very similar in behavior to Red Tail. Why don't you just get more Red Tail that way you have a school.

other info.) Due to a diet of live foods, the Red Tail Barracuda can put a large bio load on the aquarium, so there needs to be ample filtration. Water changes of about 30 - 50% are needed every other week, depending on the bio load, to keep this fish happy and healthy.

~Joltz

Back
Top Bottom