Red tail catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a red tail catfish and I've been puting in sinking pellets but I'm pretty sure it could eat a feeder fish do they like feeders

I just bought a red tail catfish and I've been puting in sinking pellets but I'm pretty sure it could eat a feeder fish do they like feeders

I'm sorry but didn't you have (Past tense because they died) two clown knifes in a 55G?

I'm shuddering but guessing you suddenly don't have a 180G tank and your RTC is now in a 55G.

Apologies if I'm wrong but it's getting to be a recurring theme.

4541473350_280x186.jpeg

october2009_0085_Amazon_red_tail_catfish_Scott_Morely.jpeg

4541473356.jpeg

55 gallon is not suitable.
Also feeders could be a good snack depending on its size, but the pellets have a lot more nutrition, and feeders can also introduce disease.
Idk what kind of a diet rtc`s specifically need but you can also try to feed things like bloodworms and beef heart from the pet store

Ok thnx and yeah ok they get that big in the wild but I'm pretty sure it will grow to the tank I personally think the tank is huge for a 55 gallon and ok and I'm guessing its alot like the normal cat fish where they like to make dens and hide in them??

A lot of people on here dont support the whole "grow to the tank" theory. Yes, it probably wont get very big in a 55, but seeing how big it is meant to get, should you restrict it with a small tank?
Id do a google search on growth stunting in aquariums and see what you think.

Ok thnx and yeah ok they get that big in the wild but I'm pretty sure it will grow to the tank I personally think the tank is huge for a 55 gallon and ok and I'm guessing its alot like the normal cat fish where they like to make dens and hide in them??

Omg...... A rtc in a 55 gal...... I'm speechless with shock.....
They literally just keep growing and growing no matter what size there tank is. And they are predators unlike most catfish in a lfs. They also usually just cruise around the bottom looking fish small fish to eat. I suggest returning it or if you can't return it, sell it ASAP. They will need gigantic tanks when older. It's like keeping a Bala shark in a 10 gal tank.

A lot of people on here dont support the whole "grow to the tank" theory. Yes, it probably wont get very big in a 55, but seeing how big it is meant to get, should you restrict it with a small tank?
Id do a google search on growth stunting in aquariums and see what you think.

They may be stunted a bit but will grow all the same. I've seen a 20" rtc in a 55 gal before and the guy said he raised it from a baby.

Red tail cat in a 55?

Lol I won't waste my time telling you off

You're about to get torn up by other users

Please rehome it. Yes the fish will grow to the size of the tank but the internal organs will not stop growing. The fish will die a slow painful death this way.

Please don't buy fish and plan I. Rehoming them. Anyone reading this thread purchasing any pet and planning on rehoming it is irresponsible pet keeping. Please be able to provide the best possible care before taking in any animal

You guys don't gotta get so critical on me I'm 16 and just started this like 8-9 months ago and that whole time I only I had predators I saw the fish an I knew how big it could get I bought it because I like it and can easily regime it after it gets to big

Please don't buy fish and plan I. Rehoming them. Anyone reading this thread purchasing any pet and planning on rehoming it is irresponsible pet keeping. Please be able to provide the best possible care before taking in any animal

I don't think he was actually planning on rehoming it. He just diet know it would get that big and thought that a 55 would be big enough.

Please rehome it. Yes the fish will grow to the size of the tank but the internal organs will not stop growing. The fish will die a slow painful death this way.

Wow! That actually can happen?! That's scary and a gruesome death...... shudder....... :hide:

Back
Top Bottom