Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red tail shark

I just transferred my red tail out of my 40 gal with rams tetra and clown loach. He started getting very aggressive after few months. I got 3 kuhli loaches for his tank .just shark and them. There new so mostly been hiding. My question is if and when they come out is he goin to torture them also.please let me nonif anyone has them mix or and experience with them.
Thanks

Old 06-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Red tails can be jerks, especially to fish that share the floor of the aquarium like they do. That said kuhlis have never drawn any aggression from any other fish ime, even ones that have aggressive personalities, I think the fact that they stay hidden most of the light hours helps
Old 06-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for response.so far so good but we will see .hasn't bothered them yet few times they come out. He don't seem to mind loaches for some reason.never bothered my clowns. Just hated the rams and tetras.so we will see.thanks
Old 06-29-2021, 02:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They love to swim and really patrol a territory. A 75G plus sized tank is ideal because of their natural tendencies to control an area. Definitely they can be jerks especially when they are in their youth and probably getting the hormonal urges to breed and secure thier own space. I made sure there were what I called race tracks at the very bottom and around the 1/4ish to 1/3rd space int he tank. Kind of like figure 8 type spaces around the glass area at the bottom and room to pass Cories.

My Kuhlis never were in the direct area of the RTS. I guess they hid a lot.

The higher race track was more or less between Amazon Sword, Anubias and Eel grass, stones were more around the bottom, and big tall DW. There was a purposeful space for the swimming. and an open area for the Neons and Harlequins.

All fish would see the shark coming and just switch directions. He was a bit older, adopted him from a long time hobbyist moving and editing fish tanks from his new life.

They also like the stone areh or DW arch type caves to sit under, able to whip around and go out front or back, at any second!

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red, red tail, red tail shark, shark, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com