Red Tail Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased 2 Red Tail sharks last weekend. One of the Sharks is doing very well and the other one is hiding most of the time. When he does come out the other Red Tail that is doing good chases him around the tank until he turns gray. The one that is not doing as well has really never gotten any color in his tail. The other one looks great. Any suggestions on this??

Thanks

Two redtail sharks cannot be kept together because they are very aggressive towards their own species.

you need to take one back

the more picked on one will stress itself out so much it will die because what blazeherd said is correct, you can only keep a redtailed black shark with out any other shark species

When you return one you should mention it *nod*

Say something like you are appauled by the lack of information in regards to the RTB shark.

I will return it this afternoon. I had no idea and I asked them for 2 and they said sure no problem. That makes me mad.

as it should

you need to tell the manager that the fish people (I don't know if its a petstore or soley a fish store) need to be more knowledgable because it makes their store less appealing to buy fish

It happens all the time. Kind of like when my brother went to PetsMart to stock his UN-cycled 10 gal tank and told the guy all about it how he had just set it up that morning. The guy ended up selling them a common pleco, 2 clown loaches, and 10 neons. His reasoning: This way you cover your basis with the algae, bottom dweller, and the actual fish in the tank. 8O Needless to say, they all died before I found out.

It seems like it is a trend in the ma and pop stores and the big chains. Especially when it comes to things like this.

You really have to talk to the people that run the store to get a good idea how well they know fish or how to take care of fish.. I have two mom and pop stores near me.. One runs pure RO water in all of his tanks, PH swing nightmare, and his discus have Hex and the other hasnt cleaned under his UGF's in what he says 10 years and thinks the things are dream filters! This is the owners by the way, so I dont expect good advise around here from a pet store.. When I lived in OH and northern IN there were some really knowlagable owners, some of wich with masters degees in types of biology, with great stores.. It would have been a blast to have been able to go to Toirtis's store when he had one!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom