Red-tailed and red-finned sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i believe they are related and follow the same rules (1 per tank!)

The red-finned shark is also known as the "Rainbow" shark

Tcal01 said:
How do they differ in size?

They don't, they're two different species but stay around the same size. One is also called a rainbow shark and is less aggressive in temperament than it's red-finned counterpart the red-tailed black shark. Their space requirements also seem to be different. Rainbow sharks should be somewhere around 55 gallons, 75 gallons for RTBS

Oh ok. Thanks guys. I'm just trying to find a unique bottom feeder for a 35g. I was thinking of the hillstream loach but then realized that they are pretty specialized and I want something a little less high maintenance. Do u guys have any ideas?

Tcal01 said:
Oh ok. Thanks guys. I'm just trying to find a unique bottom feeder for a 35g. I was thinking of the hillstream loach but then realized that they are pretty specialized and I want something a little less high maintenance. Do u guys have any ideas?

You could try a BN pleco, pitbull pleco or rubberlip pleco. There's also otos (which you need to be very careful with) SAEs, khuli loaches and glass cats (which you should also be careful with).

Hmmm I got a rainbow shark that I had wit cichlids n he terrirized that tank I turned the tank into a community n he calmed down alot aslong as no1 enters his cave while he is around except the pleco n pictus catfish

bruinsbro1997 said:
You could try a BN pleco, pitbull pleco or rubberlip pleco. There's also otos (which you need to be very careful with) SAEs, khuli loaches and glass cats (which you should also be careful with).

Wouldn't the plecos get too big for a 35?

Wow the kuhli loaches r reeeeeeaaaally cool. I read that they only get to be about a max of 4in too.

Tcal01 said:
Wow the kuhli loaches r reeeeeeaaaally cool. I read that they only get to be about a max of 4in too.

Eh they hide alot usually, but sometimes they swim around alot too. Depends. And i think the rubberlip would get too big for a 35..but the others would be alright

bruinsbro1997 said:
Actually, all those plecos are small (around 5-6 inches) so they'd be fine in that size tank :)

Are you sure about the rubberlip? Iv been lookin around and they seem to get around 7 sometimes

Oh sweet. I had always ruled out plecos cuz I know some of them get to be like 12in. How many could u fit in a tank like mine? Same with the kuhlis, how many could u fit in a 35?

Kuhulis, quite a few..4? Plecos 1. If its a pitbull 2-3. You dont want to overcrowd your tanks bottom

Gboy66 said:
Kuhulis, quite a few..4? Plecos 1. If its a pitbull 2-3. You dont want to overcrowd your tanks bottom

If I can find the kuhlis, I'll definitely go with them. R they pretty peaceful? What temperature water do they need?

Back
Top Bottom