Red Tailed Barracuda experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PBrods

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had one years ago and loved it! I had it in a 10g tank. I didn't know anything about aquariums then and still don't. I just came across a 46g bow front setup as a trade for a guitar. I traded because the thought of getting another barracuda excited me. Everybody is saying the tank is too small yet I didn't have any problems with having one in a 10g. I only want 1 or 2 of them. I want to put in a decent stone and large driftwood. I have a dark blue background and black sand. I'll probably put some plants but not many and that is it. Is there ANYONE here that can help me out? Anyone else ever HAVE the Red Tailed Barracuda that could tell me a good mix of fish to put with them, even if it's only a couple.

PBrods said:
Had one years ago and loved it! I had it in a 10g tank. I didn't know anything about aquariums then and still don't. I just came across a 46g bow front setup as a trade for a guitar. I traded because the thought of getting another barracuda excited me. Everybody is saying the tank is too small yet I didn't have any problems with having one in a 10g. I only want 1 or 2 of them. I want to put in a decent stone and large driftwood. I have a dark blue background and black sand. I'll probably put some plants but not many and that is it. Is there ANYONE here that can help me out? Anyone else ever HAVE the Red Tailed Barracuda that could tell me a good mix of fish to put with them, even if it's only a couple.

Everybody is saying that tank is too small because it is, you might not think you had problems with one in a 10g but like u said you know nothing about aquariums. For you to put a fish that grows upto 11 inches in a tank that is not big enough is cruel IMO, it's the equivalent of making you live in a closet with not enough room to turn around in, I don't think you'd much like that.
I strongly recommend you do alot of research on red tailed barracudas, every website I've Been on says 90g minimum

Imagine for a moment that you are a ten inch fish. Now imagine you are being kept in a 55 gallon tank. That tank is, what, four feet long? YAY! You get to swim a whole two and a half body lengths before you have to turn around. Sounds like fun to me!

You admit you nothing about keeping an aquarium, or fish, yet you are unwilling to listen and learn.

Talvari... I had it for almost 2 years, it was fine and healthy when I had to give it away to a friend because I moved to another state. He had it for a while and said he gave it away when his girlfriend moved in to get different fish.

Everyone stop! Good grief if I was PBrods I would leave this form and not come back! I love this place and Im saying that! Give him a break he didnt know! Did yall just obtain all this knowledge magically one day? NO! Now back off!
PBrods I do not much about them but I am going to look it up. First impression is that you are going to need a bigger tank ONE DAY. As the fish is growing up you could probably start with the smaller tank. Dont worry to much that you had it in to small of a tank originally when I started we had a pleco that reached 20 inches in a 10 gallon lol We all have made mistakes or been misinformed by the "Fish experts" at the pet store. I am going to look up that fish now and see what I can find. BTW before you add him make sure you find out how to cycle your tank! ALOT of us have lost fish because the pet store doesnt know how to cycle a tank lol

Guys! Enough!

You may not have asked for the answers you got but at the end of the day it's the truth.

We won't sugar coat a bad situation.

Sorry you feel wronged but this site prides itself on giving the best possible help for the FISH.

I was just giving info that I thought he should know! If he's gonna come back at me with a reply like that, i ain't just gonna take it! Good luck with getting through to this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok there is alot of mixed info dude. I think your safest bet would be to (as the fish grow) upgrade to a 110 gallon tank. Many sources list 70n gallon as big enough so you may be able to do that but I RECOMEND in my opinion at least 100. It seems most sources say 11 inches is the max. BTW you may want to make sure the glass has thick walls as the fish seems to be quiet strong lol

This thread has been cleaned up. Everyone take a deep breath and start over. AA takes the "Be Nice" rule very seriously, and I strongly suggest that some of you go review that rule right now before you make another post. Any more of this behavior and this thread will be shut down.

The OP has asked a ligitimate question, please give constructive critism. The correct information does not have to be rude to be right or to get your point across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom