Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Red Tailed Black Shark help!

Hello everyone, I bought a Red Tailed Black Shark a few weeks ago, when I bought him he had a white tip on his dorsal fin. But now all of his fins have white tips. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,929
Is it fuzzy looking? Could be fin rot or some type of fungus.
__________________

__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Is it fuzzy looking? Could be fin rot or some type of fungus.


Nope, they look exactly like the tip of his dorsal fin which on most RTBSs are white
__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,929
Can you get a pic? I don't think that they should have white tips it might be the beginning of fin rot
__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,929
Also what are his tank mates?
__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Iíll get a pic as soon as I get back from the store, and his tank mates are 4 angelfish, a rubberlip pleco and a bala shark, but the other fish donít mess with him, the RTBS is the territorial one
__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,929
You must have a huge tank! can wait to see the picture!
__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
That is completely normal on a RTS, you dont need to worry. As long as itís only on the tips of the fins and it doesnít look fuzzy and the fins donít appear torn or frayed in anyway, itís just part of their coloring. Most rtbs have this when they are young. It will sometimes stay. Sometimes it will disappear as they age. The females are more likely to keep the white tips. Males usually donít.

I have had a red-tail for a year now. I assume it's a female, since she has a gray belly and the very tips of her fins are still white
__________________
Lauren4events is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4events View Post
That is completely normal on a RTS, you dont need to worry. As long as itís only on the tips of the fins and it doesnít look fuzzy and the fins donít appear torn or frayed in anyway, itís just part of their coloring. Most rtbs have this when they are young. It will sometimes stay. Sometimes it will disappear as they age. The females are more likely to keep the white tips. Males usually donít.

I have had a red-tail for a year now. I assume it's a female, since she has a gray belly and the very tips of her fins are still white


Same with mine! Mine has a gray belly too, how do you determine gender of a RTBS?
__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondtm View Post
Same with mine! Mine has a gray belly too, how do you determine gender of a RTBS?

The females usually have a grayer belly. Males are typically solid black (there are exceptions though). I would guess you had a female.

My shark will also turn grayish white sometimes when sheís stressed. But it goes away. I try to keep this from happening.


Some important things about rtbs:

Make sure you have a large enough tank. Otherwise, your shark will get stressed. This leads to greater illness susceptibility and aggression. Even if itís not a problem now, it will be if you donít have a large enough tank.

Make sure you have some caves and plenty of hiding places for your shark. They need hiding places! Itís in their nature.

And a tight fitting lid. They are jumpers! Trust me on the lid. Itís an absolute must. I canít tell you how many stories I have heard from people coming home to find their shark dead on the floor from jumping out of the tank.

Regular water changes are important for rtbs. They donít tolerate ammonia or nitrites well. So you should always know your water parameters. The best way to monitor this is purchasing the api freshwater master test kit.

Good luck! They are wonderful fish, and donít deserve their bad rep.
__________________
Lauren4events is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4events View Post
The females usually have a grayer belly. Males are typically solid black (there are exceptions though). I would guess you had a female.

My shark will also turn grayish white sometimes when sheís stressed. But it goes away. I try to keep this from happening.


Some important things about rtbs:

Make sure you have a large enough tank. Otherwise, your shark will get stressed. This leads to greater illness susceptibility and aggression. Even if itís not a problem now, it will be if you donít have a large enough tank.

Make sure you have some caves and plenty of hiding places for your shark. They need hiding places! Itís in their nature.

And a tight fitting lid. They are jumpers! Trust me on the lid. Itís an absolute must. I canít tell you how many stories I have heard from people coming home to find their shark dead on the floor from jumping out of the tank.

Regular water changes are important for rtbs. They donít tolerate ammonia or nitrites well. So you should always know your water parameters. The best way to monitor this is purchasing the api freshwater master test kit.

Good luck! They are wonderful fish, and donít deserve their bad rep.

Currently these fish are in a 36 gallon bowfront, because theyíre so small but once they start getting some size Iím moving them all to a 55 gallon tank. I had to take one of my angels out today because it got Ich, Iíve treated both tanks, and Iíve noticed my RTBS likes to hide because I have a tree trunk decoration with a face in it, the inside is hollow and the eyes are open holes so she likes to go inside and hide since itís one of the main places to hide in the tank, but Iím still waiting on my 12 live plants to get some size too.
__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 107
Hi, this is completely unrelated but do you plan on getting an even larger tank than 55 gallons? That would be pushing it with just a pair of angels because they get so territorial when paired up. Also Baka sharks get huge, like 12"-16" and love to have buddies to school with so you would definitely need a larger tank than 55 gallons and they are very active. Other than that sounds like you are going to have some beautiful fish grow up
__________________
CoreySheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreySheli View Post
Hi, this is completely unrelated but do you plan on getting an even larger tank than 55 gallons? That would be pushing it with just a pair of angels because they get so territorial when paired up. Also Baka sharks get huge, like 12"-16" and love to have buddies to school with so you would definitely need a larger tank than 55 gallons and they are very active. Other than that sounds like you are going to have some beautiful fish grow up


Yes hopefully, next step would probably be a 75 gallon, and maybe after that a 120
__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 107
Oh wow that's going to be big. I'm so jealous haha. I can't wait to see how they will look
__________________
CoreySheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Well Iím not going to lie itís going to be a while, luckily Iím getting the 55 for free because it was my grandpas when he was in the hobby, he still has the old heaters, filters, air pumps, etc for it but I might upgrade everything on it except for the tank itself
__________________

__________________
Liondtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, led, red, red tail, shark, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rainbow shark/Red-tailed shark Alickx08 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 1 04-13-2013 03:23 PM
rainbow shark or red tailed shark? allaboutfish Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 06-24-2011 02:33 AM
Red Tailed Black Shark Fishboy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 11-14-2004 05:20 PM
red tailed black shark with firemouth and barbs skiltrip Cichlid Discussion 2 08-09-2003 10:23 PM
What do I feed my Red-tailed black Shark? blkstar Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 02-20-2003 10:22 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.