red tailed shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropic27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My red tailed black shark turned grey a few days ago..He shill has his red tail..but his body isn't black anymore..I feed him frozen beefheart, frozen mini shrimps called "plankton" sp?..also tubiflex & bloodworms. I try to offer a variety for nutrition. Also he used to get along really well w/ my Gray Bichir..but now w/ the addition of Tetras..he is being aggresive towards EVERYONE!

I'm not sure what could be causing your shark to turn gray for an extended period of time. I've had my redtail for over 3 years and the only time I've seend him discolored is before the light turns on and when I've seen redtails at the store. So, I think their mood and lighting might affect their coloring (although when my light turns on, his tail is more pink rather than red) ... you might try testing your water, maybe he's signalling that something isn't right with your water.

As for being aggressive, i've read a lot of people having trouble with their redtails being aggressive and territorial. For the most part mine just goes where he wants as he is the biggest fish in my tank (almost 5") ... the only fish he bothers in my tank are my yo-yo's and he tends to only pick on the largest of the 3 yo-yos ... but they don't seem to bothered by it ... in the sense that he doesn't damage them and they don't run from him or avoid him unless he starts chasing them.

So, not sure how much help that may be ... but maybe check your water or change up his diet if it isn't eating normally. Until recently, I never saw my shark eat anything I added to the tank (I used to feed flakes, shrimp pellets & bloodworms almost exclusively) and I could never figure out what my redtail ate ... but he was growing fine, so I never worried about it ... but maybe try some tubifex ... mine will actually come out of his cave to eat it.

The color loss is due to stress or poor water conditions. I am one of those people who hates red tail sharks now because they became so agressive in my tank. My red tail actually killed 3 of my angels from agression. When he killed the 3rd andgel (followed by 3 bolivian rams) i gave him to a friend. The shark went into a tank with nothing but african cichlids. 6 months later he is double the size and just as agressive. Kinda glad i gave him away now!

I always liked Rainbow Sharks as a substitute for Red-Tail Sharks. Found thier temperment to be more mellow.

Back
Top Bottom