Red Tailed Shark and Molly in 2.5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought my niece a 2.5 gallon tank for her birthday. She was supposed to take 2 of my Mickey Mouse Platy babies and put them in it. My Brother called me from the petstore to ask what they could get. I told him to buy her a Platy or a Guppy but not a Molly because they get too big. What does he get her?? A Red Tailed Shark and a Molly. (Apparently he thought I told him a Molly was OK) I am so mad at him right now. I could friggin' kill him :banghead: He won't listen to me when I tell him they should NOT be in there. He said 'The lady at Petco said its alright and that the shark is shy so It'll be fine.' How can I make him realize he needs to take the fish back?? He just thinks everything is going to be fine but I feel terrible for the poor fish.

Wow IMO 2.5 gallons is to small for any fish let alone a shark that needs 50 gallons. Honestly take it back yourself if you can or explain to your niece that they need a bigger tank. Show her a betta and some shrimp species. They'll do a lot better in that tank and i'm sure she'll love the betta.

OUCH! ... not the best fish buyer is he?

Lock him in a closet for a couple of days and tell him that's what it'll feel like for the RTS when it grows ... and while that's happening .. it'll decide the entire 2.5 gallons is it's domain and will exhibit the territorial aggression RTS's are notorious for.

You wanna see my 3 inch RTS chase TigerBarbs round the tank? Not fun for the Barbs when it happens. RTS's can be nasty ... and during feeding mine really steps it up ... and I have plenty of hiding spots for it to claim a territory ... so a 2.5 gal is asking for trouble.

You may need to return / rehome it (and the Molly) back to the LFS.

Hire James Bond to take out the fish and switch them out for plastic ones.

:)

In all seriousness, I think you should explain to them that if the keep them in there, that they will die and suffer. That will basically bring any child to tears.

I have no doubt we will see your next thread red tail shark killed Molly that RTS is gonna be over the top aggressive and WILL torture that Molly to death in a 2.5 gallon I had one in a 80 gallon with cichlids and he tortured them so bad all 6 would hide on a small Dino skull I still don't know how they all fit

Show him the replys from this thread since most of us have experience and aren't earning a pay check

Hire James Bond to take out the fish and switch them to plastic ones :)

I dont know, he ddnt fall through with the whole sneaking my CAE into Petsmart plan you can up with lol.

Anyways I called him and had a five minute conversation before I hung up on him. Meanwhile I have been thinking, Would it be convinsing if I let the waters calm for a few days then offer to put the poor thing in my cycling 40g. I'll let my niece watch me put him in the tank then when she leqves I'll take him to Petsmart. I have become friends with one of the employees there and she could either put it in her 75g she got for christmas and is stocking or resell it. Good idea or not?? I feel like kicking the petco ladys ***.

I dont know, he ddnt fall through with the whole sneaking my CAE into Petsmart plan you can up with lol.

Anyways I called him and had a five minute conversation before I hung up on him. Meanwhile I have been thinking, Would it be convinsing if I let the waters calm for a few days then offer to put the poor thing in my cycling 40g. I'll let my niece watch me put him in the tank then when she leqves I'll take him to Petsmart. I have become friends with one of the employees there and she could either put it in her 75g she got for christmas and is stocking or resell it. Good idea or not?? I feel like kicking the petco ladys ***.

I'd say that'll work ... as long as the RTS is a juvenile ... which I'm assuming it is. If your friend will take the RTS then your all set.

WOW. I didn't know they were that aggressive. I had one in with a couple of minnows and they were the bosses. Haha he just hid behind my HOB filter.

WOW. I didn't know they were that aggressive. I had one in with a couple of minnows and they were the bosses. Haha he just hid behind my HOB filter.

Yep ... you'll get that with RTS's too. You really never know how aggressive yours will turn out to be until it matures. Certainly two RTS's in the same tank is asking for big trouble .... not so bad with other fish. Mine really becomes nasty during feeding ... the rest of the time it swims all over the tank for food.

Dang. I'm glad mine was a nice one. Haha and I'm gonna get a rainbow shark instead. (No intending of hi-jacking this thread)

Dang. I'm glad mine was a nice one. Haha and I'm gonna get a rainbow shark instead. (No intending of hi-jacking this thread)

An RBS is just a slightly nicer species than an RTS ... it will still show the same territorial aggression ... just not as bad.(y)

Back
Top Bottom