Red tailed shark in a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if I could put a red tailed shark in my 29 gallon tank. Also what tank mates could go with and what kind of care do they need? Any advice would be great thanks:)

Stocking plan
1 male dwarf gourami
4 cory cats
1 rubber lip pleco
8 neons
1 pair of GBR
1 red tailed shark
3 sword tails? 1M:2F

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not get the red tailed shark or rubberlip pleco.

The red tailed shark is because they can be territorial and will prefer a 50 gallon, plus a 29 gallon doesn't provide a lot of a footprint as it is tall.

The pleco is because german blue rams prefer to be kept at atleast 26C and the pleco prefers to be kept under 24C

The rest of your stocking seems pretty nice however.

BUT you can add a bristlenose pleco if you don't get female swordtails, just remember to put in some driftwood. The neons will like that too.

Change like 25-40% of the water weekly and if needed, use aqadvisor.com for some more brainstorming. :)

Ok thank you glad I asked (;
Why can I not have female swords with the BN?
I have been searching for some driftwood to put in this tank I love the all natural look of planted tanks with real wood so big plus. I also have some flats rocks to put in for my GBR:)
I do at least 25% on all my tanks weekly takes awhile since I have 5 tanks but it's worth it (;

It's not that you can't have female swordtails with them, I just think that would be pushing it because swordtails and plecs can place quite a strain on the tank, so you would have to omit the females (I assume you like the males more) or omit the pleco as having both would make it a little bit harder to maintain.

That being said, you could add the females a little later (or the pleco a little later) once the environment is stable and planted.

If you do add the females try to do a 40-50% water change.

I think I misspoke when I said not to because now that I place further thought, you should be okay as long as you keep an eye on the parameters. Plus, given you have 5 other tanks, you seem experienced enough to care for a heavily stocked tank.

I plan on adding the stock slowly although I will be using filtered media as I am upgrading my 10 gallon to the 29. I will just keep an eye on my parameters and see how it's going to decide on the stock

I agree on the suggestion that you leave out the shark. They are quite bossy and need their own area that they can claim for themselves. There just isn't enough room in a 29 gallon for them to do that without the Rams or Pleco "invading" the shark's space.

While you can pull off a bristlenose pleco with the rams (compatibility wise), I still would avoid it due to how sensitive Rams are to nitrates. Plecos are poop machines, which will make it quite the battle to keep the nitrates as low as the Rams will need for long term health. By having both male and female swords in there, you want to leave some bioload space to deal with the inevitable batches of fry. Having a pleco on top of the rest of your stock removes that extra bioload space.

Having all male swords so you can still have the pleco would also be ill-advised, as male swords are territorial and will tend to bully each other without females to distract themselves with. Bachelor groups of live bearers work best when you have enough of them to diffuse the aggression, usually around the 6-8+ mark.

I agree on the suggestion that you leave out the shark. They are quite bossy and need their own area that they can claim for themselves. There just isn't enough room in a 29 gallon for them to do that without the Rams or Pleco "invading" the shark's space.

While you can pull off a bristlenose pleco with the rams (compatibility wise), I still would avoid it due to how sensitive Rams are to nitrates. Plecos are poop machines, which will make it quite the battle to keep the nitrates as low as the Rams will need for long term health. By having both male and female swords in there, you want to leave some bioload space to deal with the inevitable batches of fry. Having a pleco on top of the rest of your stock removes that extra bioload space.

Having all male swords so you can still have the pleco would also be ill-advised, as male swords are territorial and will tend to bully each other without females to distract themselves with. Bachelor groups of live bearers work best when you have enough of them to diffuse the aggression, usually around the 6-8+ mark.

Ok I won't get the BN thanks I don't want to overstock and I wasn't planning on all males I won't get them if I cant have females any suggestions on any other fish other then swords I really like large schools?

Yes but I'm not sure if I really want swords kinda looking for something new that I haven't had before.... Any schooling fish that any one just particularly likes and would like to share as a suggestion?

I don't think you will have an issue with a rubberlip pleco if you want one. I have have kept them at multiple temperatures without an issue. Another option is a little groups of otos or else pitbull plecos.
I also think your stock sounds fine except for the rts. They really do better in a much bigger space. Keep an eye on your params, and be prepared to do plenty of pwc. Also, live plants help out quite a bit. If you want something that stays a little smaller than the swords, just go with platies. Same colors, smaller fish.
Personally, I don't like gbr at all because finding some that don't just drop dead due to poor breeding is rather tough. I like bolivian rams better. Also, kribs. Up to you of course. Some people have better luck with them than others do. Just a warning. :)

Hmm.. I always enjoyed Cherry Barbs and White Cloud Mountain Minnows as schooling fish.

You could drop the swords and get a school Cherries. I also agree with the GBR being a little finicky and delicate but you might enjoy Shell Dwellers as a substitute. Or the other rams. Bolivians are nice. If you do go for the GBR, build your stocking around them so they get the best care. The plec might be okay, just a caution note. :)

A large school of Threadfin Rainbows or Cherry Barbs would look nice and serve as good dither fish for the GBRs.

I've heard that GBR are very sensitive luckily there is a very reputable breeder in my area that has great reviews and a pretty strong strain of GBR. I'm going to make very sure the tank is well cycled and stable at least a month before purchase and I do a 25-50% water change weekly on all my tanks.

I've never heard of cloud mountain minnows ill look into it:)

I do like cherry barbs so always an option and mot sure what the rainbows look like so ill check them out

Haven't seen any Bolivians around here but ill take a look. I have multifasciatus cichlids and I know where I can get some kribs. Personally I just LOVE GBR so I will give them a go :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

White cloud minnows (AKA cloud mountain minnows) do best in much cooler water than your Rams need. I'd avoid them.

Ok will do I figured the might

I have yet to see any for sale around here I have golden long finned danios and leopard long finned I LOVE them in my 45 gallon hex they're so much fun to watch

Could apistos be kept in a 29 gallon of the GBR dont work out? Liveaquria says 30 is one gallon really make that much difference? Could they work in a community tank?

Back
Top Bottom