Red tailed sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I mix red tailed sharks with Cory's, tetras, guppies, and a blue ram in a heavily planted and hiding spaced 29 gallon tank?

If I get a betta instead of the red tail, would that work with the other fish?

Rally that would depend on the temperament of the betta itself. Most people don't recommend mixing guppies or any other fish with flowing, colorful fins with bettas because some bettas will react to anything "showy" as if it was another betta. I've kept a betta with guppies before with no issues, though. If you decide to add a betta to the tank, just keep a eye out for possible aggressive behavior and have a backup plan in case things don't work out. You may want to introduce the betta to the tank in a floating isolation/breeding trap at first to see if he flares at the other inhabitants when they swim by. Bettas can make great additions to community tanks or they can be menaces. It just depends on how much attitude the betta has.

If the betta didn't workout, what about a couple dwarf gouramis?

Btw I apologize for all the questions! I'm a beginner at this n just trying to do it right.

I think the gouramis could work. Just not along with a betta! They are both labyrinth fish and they tend to be aggressive towards one another. Be careful selecting dwarf gouramis and be sure to quarantine them before adding them to your tank. A lot of them are weak and disease-prone due to bad breeding practices. They are excellent fish, don't get me wrong, but it can be a little difficult finding good healthy specimens. Actually, you should quarantine any new additions to your tank regardless of what kind of fish it is. I've learned this lesson the hard way in the past and wiped out some much loved fish because I didn't quarantine what looked to be healthy additions to my tank.

And please, ask away! You'll never learn the answers if you don't ask the questions.

(I hope this post makes sense. I've been sick for a week and I'm starting to feel a bit loopy.)

You can't get a "couple" of dwarf gouramis unless u get some females (which are a dull gray and not commonly sold)

But one would work with 6 glow light tetras, 3 guppies, 4 julli Cory's, and 1 blue ram?

I had issues with a betta in a community tank. It would take out the guppies if they got near him. Lost quite a few that way before I just moved him to another tank. Funny thing is my father kept a betta in a community tank when I was a child and had no problems.

As for the gourami's I have 4 dwarf gourami's males in a community 60 gallon with no issues. They nip at each other but other than that there is enough hiding spaces that they won't all out fight.

Back
Top Bottom